Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3v vouchers to validate an ebay account

Options
  • 29-08-2005 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anybody has managed to use the 3v.ie vouchers to validate and open a new sellers account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

<splittage, only useful links go in the stickie ;) >

A person could indeed set up an ebay account using a 3v card. Once you have enough money in the card, it will work anywhere visa is accepted. It is basically a visa card with a low limit. However this brings into question the issue of fraud.

I can see these 3v cards are potentially open to abuse. My one concern with 3v was not a direct monetary fraud one, but rather a question of accountability.
    An inscrupulous person could use it to open up an untraceable ebay account, use it to
    [ok, I have a few ways in which a person could otherwise defraud people using these, but I wont list them].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I just checked 3v myself...and you can indeed use a voucher to validate yourself on ebay (WHEW!! AT LAST!!), you get 16 digits and a security code to submit.

However, I do see your point about fraudulent accounts...but, you also have to list a current bank account.

Also, JUST LOOK how easy it is to get Mickey Mouse credit cards if you are an US resident?? But that doesn't cause many problems on ebay...in fact, it seems to me that untill you have a LOT of feedback it could be quite hard to sell on ebay at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Do you get some sort of statement when you buy something on the card then? Don't Ebay use some random digitals on your credit card to confirm ?

how can you get this on a top-up credit card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Don't know any of that for sure, but when I get my card (it's delayed in post) and a voucher I will talk you though what I actually do.

3v confirm you can use their vouchers to validate ebay. What I intend to do is dump the balance into "Paypal" (I am told I can do this, yes folks, those of us without credit cards can FINALLY put money into "Paypal" this way too! The person I was talking to seemed VERY clued up about ebay).

I would think that Ebay actually use credit card numbers to validate seller accounts because the existance of the number can be checked instantly, it can then go on to be used as a kind of PIN number, though your ebay account can be paid by direct debit or through Paypal, so you just retain the voucher number.

Until recently they used to validate NI account by direct debit to a bank account, that cost £5 to do.

In theory, I think you could change the credit card number on your ebay account every time you buy a new voucher and pay that way.

But, let's wait till I have a voucher in my sticky little paw and can go through the validation process and see how it works?

Unless somebody else tries it first...

Edited TWICE for typos...I suspect I should have put a different kind of mushroom in my omlette...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yep, Ive done this myself.
    Paypal is like an online bank account and can take money in this way.

Your CC number isn't printed on your 3v card. rather it gets printed on your voucher.
    Your card id number gets texted to you. (little 3 digit number on the back of regular cc's)

Ebay used to validate new accounts with any proper ISP email address ffs! :) Even XXX@eircom.net used to do. In fact, my account was first validated using this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement