Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erecting Slatted fencing around Hedge?

Options
  • 29-08-2005 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi, Ordered slatted fencing and posts due to seriously ignorant neighbour who constantly complains about our dog(little jack russel). We've tried to block every part of his Hedge without cutting it back to the butt.. but it ain't workin' and the dog is still finding his way through to his garden.. No idea where!!! Then last week he proceeds to tell our kids.. not us that 'If ya don't keep that 'f***in' dog in your own garden I'm putting down rat poison and he'll be dead!'

Anyway.. am now going to take the plunge and cut OUR side of the hedge right back to the fence that runs through it.. he won't be impressed.. but hay.. he wants a fence :D If the hedge dies.. tough! But for the sake of peace.. I'd prefer to do it as sensitively as possible!!!!

Now.. how deep do we have to dig the holes for the posts??? And how far back can I cut the hedge without it dying off???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Deb,

You can buy a fence post gizmo that you drive into the ground with a sledge hammer, they are good and the posts get a good grip.

Try chicken wire instaed of spending on a fence, the hedge will grow back through it very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Had considered the chickenwire route.. but reckon the nipper would still make his way through. There's already a wire fence in the hedge somewhere.. but ya know what they say rooferpete.. Good fences make good neighbours ;) So long as the feckers hedge wouldnt knock over me lovely fence!!!

What are those Gizmo's called.. there's a hardware in Dunboyne I think might do them.. or the place I ordered the fencing in Clonee might? I'll give them a ring and see if they have them before they deliver them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What rooferPete said, no point in spending big bucks if your happy with the hedge yourself and it's just a dog imprisonment measure! Chicken wire, properly installed will be as good as a big fence and the hedge will grow back through it. The neighbour sounds like a d!ck to be honest-it's his porous hedge that's allowing the dog through. I'd like to say; "cut the hedge back to the boundary line and hopefully it'll die and teach him a lesson" but there's no point in biting off your nose to spite your face. Remember-a poorly installed fence will just allow the dog to burrow under it anyway.

Might give it a bash then.. Hubby is off work for a few days on hols(yeah right!).. so before they deliver the fence I'll get him to try a few more things first. Tried building up flowerbeds under the hedge to stop him getting through the most porous part at the root.... It just gave him a leg up! Tried Trellis at the gaps.. he seemed to find a way under the oiltank then! Poor dog is chained in the back garden at the moment. He's got a 12ft chain mind you so he's not too bad. Wire is just a bit ugly :(

So rooferpete do I still need fence posts for the wire?? I presume I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

What about one of those electric perimeter fence. Just bury a wire around the garden and a special collar on the dog. If he goes near the wire he gets a shock.. Might teach him to stay at home..

• Advertisement

Think me brother has one of them for his dogs.. must ask him about it. Mind you.. its just the back garden.. its not exactly a huge perimeter. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi beldin,

I have two Golden Retrievors, one a pup at Christmas, the other one is about 6 years old.

The older one refuses to go outside without "her necklace" :) her collar with the electronic box for the electric fence, she understands how far she can go and it works a treat.

The Pup acts as if there was no shock from the little box on her collar, I had to check it the old fashioned way :D Yep it works :D.

What I'm saying is the electric fence doesn't work with every dog but it's great for the ones that it does work on ;)

Deb,

The fence post gizmos are available in most hardware shops, what you might consider is using the posts and chicken wire, or the fence but run a bed of sand / cement along the bottom and give the dog something to condition his nails on ;)

The fence post gizmos are available in most hardware shops, what you might consider is using the posts and chicken wire, or the fence but run a bed of sand / cement along the bottom and give the dog something to condition his nails on

And would that kill the hedge too :D:D:D:D:D:D

Ahh only kiddin! I swear! Either way I'm gonna need posts though.. Thanks again

Deb

Advertisement