Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing old range type cooker

Options
  • 29-08-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

There's a range type cooker monstrosity sitting in my kitchen & it's connected into my central heating. I have never used the thing & I want it out :)

I asked the plumber who turned up to "fix" my taps for advice but he hummed and hahed for a bit & didn't seem to know who I should be getting in to get it removed.

(I'd take his advice with a pinch of salt anyway - he screwed up my Sky by leaving the cables in the water tank after fixing a pipe in the attic. :rolleyes: )

Any idea who removes these things? It has a new home if it can be gotten out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

They are usally removed by the person installing the replacement as there will be some adjustments being made to the heating system.

As to re-sale I expect if the cooker is fairly new there should be no problem, I would be hesitant about recommending anyone to install an old multi fuel cooker, while it may be working fine now the removal can cause it's own problems.

We have an oil fired Stanley cooker and a Stanley stove both oil fired in the stores for about two years, no interest has been displayed because I certainly would not guarantee them.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

There's no replacement. It's dual central heating & I plan to just use the oil - I don't want it to be dual.

It's a Jubilee solid fuel cooker - someone wants it for its "oldness"

Hi Hadook,

Perhaps you could come to an arangement with the person who wants the cooker, they get their plumber to take it out ?

The plumbing required should be simple enough depending on the original installer, at worst the system would need to be drained if it does it might be a good time to flush the radiators as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Hi rooferPete,

No offense meant to the people who want it but I don't think I'd trust their plumber in my home.. :)

So, if I find a decent plumber they should remove it from my kitchen? They won't just deal with the pipes bit & leave it sitting there will they? I have no problem paying someone to remove the damn thing but I've no idea where to start looking. One of the perils of buying an old cottage it seems...

I'm a 5'3" female & my OH is just out of hospital - we won't be moving this one ourselves. :)

Thanks for the help so far!

Hazel

Hi,

Basically what you need to do is outline the work you want done :

Disconnect and remove the cooker.

Make good the pipework and surrounding area.

Remove the flue and make good the walls / make good the connection to the chimney.

If you have a standard chimney you may consider building up the opening and installing a fire place or building up the opening and venting same.

The one question most would want clarified is if the cooker breaks up on removal (as happened to one I had), they will not be held responsible for any loss that may be incurred.

Many of the Aga type cookers look very good while sitting in place but they do need to be taken apart because of the size and weight of the appliance.

The risk is trying to release screws and bolts that have been subjected to years of use, I think if you can outline the way you want the space finished and that you realise the job is not without risk to the cooker then you should have no problem getting a good contractor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement