Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvaged (?) stone for house

Options
  • 29-08-2005 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I've seen some nuce houses done with stone that has been reclaimed from old farm sheds, walls, etc.

Is this what is known as salvaged stone, or is there some other name for it.

How would I go about sourcing this? I'm in the Louth/Meath area.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

hey smadger,
    A lot of this stone is not actually reclaimed but a "fake" look. It is called Hallmark stone and you can get it from Roadstone - Slane/Drogheda or even Oldbridge concrete (i think) on the boyne road along the canal to Drogheda..
    Good luck with the venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi smadger,

Cut stone can be bought from salvage yards and stone masons, being in the Louth / Meath area you may have seen the signs up along the road offering stone for sale.

As gibo said there are fake stone systems available from the companies he mentioned also I think Fernhill do a lookalike system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Posted in wrong place!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Smadger,

l have seen samples at a show of Fernhill stone. They seem to have a very comprehensive range both in colours and texture.
    They had a CD showing their range and finished examples. I think they have an office at Glaslough Co. Monaghan. Tel 047 88015.
    Can't remember the cost per m/2 but it was a couple of years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Found the CD www.fernhillstone.com/home.htm for the online catologue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

Thanks everyone. Will check out Fernhill all right.

Have seen some Hallmark stuff. Was originally interested, but the more I see of it the more 'false' it looks. Must keep an eye out for houses with Fernhill on them to see how they worked out in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

At risk of being a little off-topic, i've seem some stone and brick work that i thought was fake but someone else insisted that it was real. And now after seeing some disaster photos from america recently, i think i know what i'm looking at. There's some genuine stone and/or brick that's actually used like sort of facade, meaning it's not supporting any weight and is actually set against a backdrop of plywood. I've seen it on houses where they put this real stone/brick facade to make it appear like the foundation of a timber framed house was actually stone.
    Is there a word of this type of thing?
    I actually had a good row with my brother over this one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭smadger

I'm no expert, but I thought this was the way most modern 'stone' houses are built. The actual supporting structure is of block (or wood) and then the stone is added as a separate outer layer at a later stage. The builder builds the house and the stone mason comes along near completion and puts the outer layer on.

I've seen quite a few go up like this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

jman0 wrote:
    At risk of being a little off-topic, i've seem some stone and brick work that i thought was fake but someone else insisted that it was real. And now after seeing some disaster photos from america recently, i think i know what i'm looking at. There's some genuine stone and/or brick that's actually used like sort of facade, meaning it's not supporting any weight and is actually set against a backdrop of plywood. I've seen it on houses where they put this real stone/brick facade to make it appear like the foundation of a timber framed house was actually stone.
    Is there a word of this type of thing?
    I actually had a good row with my brother over this one day.

Cladding.

Advertisement