Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking up after your dog - lack of bins!

Options
  • 29-08-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Is there anyone else out there who is totally p***ed off with picking up after their dog/s only to find no bins nearby?!? The amount of times when my dogs have decided that half-way down Dollymount (going towards Howth) would be a perfect place to do their business...and the option is either to carry it for the rest of the walk :eek: or go back to the bins at the entrance to the beach :mad: It's not a problem going the other way as there are loads of bins (even where the cars can't go), so why can't we have the same amount of bins down the Howth side of the beach?!? Also St Annes Park...plenty of warning signs to tell us we'll be fined if we don't pick it up...nowhere to put it when we do :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can you not just use a bag? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Aaaaah a bag....now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

That sounds like a pain. If it bothers you so much you could pester the local council or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I'm guessing you're from the Clontarf location. I was on a walk along the promenade last night and there were I *think* two bins provided for disposing of dog's waste, there was at least one from the bottom of Vernon Ave to the wooden bridge.

St. Anne's is terrible for bins! Thinking of it now I can't think of anywhere inside the park where there's one bin!

Close to Clontarf...Raheny!! You'd think St Annes would be better supplied...even for rubbish left after matches...I know there's a bin by the old duck pond...the only reason I know that, is after search of the park for a bin to get rid of dog waste!! Going to get on to Council about the lack of bins...(as suggested by Grimloch). I'm sure (or at least would hope) that alot more people would consider picking up after their dogs if this wasn't an issue!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I've written numerous times and get the standard response that there is no provision to supply bins in my area.
    Theres not even a rubbish bin on my local beach - never mind anywhere to put poo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The lack of bins is actually intentional. They want people to take everything home. Bins are a fire risk and a dump problem now. There is a bin just near me and the residents want it taken away because people have taken to dumping their rubbish there.
    The cost of a bins is also going to be a factor. The cost is the empting of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

there are very little bins in my area too-one walk i do lasts about 1 1/2 hours and not one bin in sight! i have to bring a handbag with me, which is a pain, but it hasta be done i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

When I moved to where I live now, I phoned and wrote to the corpo asking for two litterbins at the end of my road, because schoolkids going to the bus stop throw their sweetie wrappers and lunch wrappers on the ground - not to mention the smokers, disgusting creatures, throwing their packets and cellophane and butts on the ground.

Two bins immediately arrived. About three months later they disappeared. I got on to the corpo again, and they were replaced after a few months. Again they disappeared after a bit.

I got on to the corpo. I was told that the rubbish collectors objected to the fact that the people in local flats tended to put their rubbish into the litterbins.

I couldn't see what the problem was - would it be better left on the street? - but pleaded for the bins back. Nope. Never got them back since.

So again we have a litter-strewn street, and a street sweeper is employed to make it nice, one day a week.

And dog poo - well, don't talk. For one thing, nobody's fined for leaving dog poo on the ground. (Neighbours of mine *were* fined - the only people I've ever met who were - and immediately became *very* careful about picking up after their dog, after years of social irresponsibility.)

For another, it's true, there are just no poo bins.

A friend of mine picked up her dog's poo in a plastic bag, but knowing that there were no bins she concealed it under a hedge, ready for her to pick it up on her way back from the walk, and drop it in a bin once she got to the road. This was near Fairview Park, you know, that place where you can walk out to the sea.

So she and her dog had their walk, and as she approached the place she'd left the bag she saw three teenagers playing with something. Oh! It was the bag of poo!

They obviously hadn't checked what was inside, because they were taking turns to jump on top of it with both feet.

My friend hastily took another way home.

luckat wrote:
    For another, it's true, there are just no poo bins.

A friend of mine picked up her dog's poo in a plastic bag, but knowing that there were no bins she concealed it under a hedge, ready for her to pick it up on her way back from the walk, and drop it in a bin once she got to the road. This was near Fairview Park, you know, that place where you can walk out to the sea.

So she and her dog had their walk, and as she approached the place she'd left the bag she saw three teenagers playing with something. Oh! It was the bag of poo!

They obviously hadn't checked what was inside, because they were taking turns to jump on top of it with both feet.

My friend hastily took another way home.

That's funny! I've often thought of doing same thing but I'd be afraid that I wouldn't remember where I concealed the bag on the way back from walk!! So I just carry on walking..dog poo bag in one hand and leads in the other:D!! It does sound like a pointless exercise getting in touch with Council if as said already they want you to take rubbish home and won't provide bins! Maybe if they started fining people properly then they could finance the delivery of bins and collection of rubbish from bins...we'll see! I know it's up to the public to take responsibility for their own rubbish..but surely the Councils have to play their part too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Wokie wrote:
    Is there anyone else out there who is totally p***ed off with picking up after their dog/s only to find no bins nearby?!? The amount of times when my dogs have decided that half-way down Dollymount (going towards Howth) would be a perfect place to do their business...and the option is either to carry it for the rest of the walk :eek: or go back to the bins at the entrance to the beach :mad: It's not a problem going the other way as there are loads of bins (even where the cars can't go), so why can't we have the same amount of bins down the Howth side of the beach?!? Also St Annes Park...plenty of warning signs to tell us we'll be fined if we don't pick it up...nowhere to put it when we do :confused:

well tbh its just so nice to see peeps who actually care about picking up.. what's really getting me is the increased apathy from so many dog owners.. dun laoghaire pier is an absolute minefield these days. its not a walk so much as a game of hop-scotch early in the morning ... eugh... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Achtung! Fingal County Council!

Baldoyle strand is worse, lack of any bins never mind dog bins. Sutton beach? Forget it.

Plus over-flowing bottle banks in Malahide and Portmarnock.

Yet strangely lots of foreign countries and junkets for the councellors to go on.

Hmmm...*chin rubbing*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmmm.... it's a mystery all right, dublinwriter. Maybe one of us should try to get on the council?

But it's so typical of the crazed logic of Ireland that instead of making a fortune fining people who don't pick up their dogs' poos, they just ban them from the beach. The result is that they have to pay someone to patrol the beach, and irresponsible owners just let their dogs go there anyway.

it would be so much cheaper to put up dog poo bins and enforce the law with the massive fines mandated already. The council could build skyscrapers and bring councillors to the Cote d'Azur with the proceeds.

Advertisement