Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drives - Worlds Quickest?

Options
  • 29-08-2005 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭

What is the worlds fastest HD in the following catagories.

IDE
    SATA
    SCSI

I am presuming that the WD Raptor is the quickest in the SATA catagory, or can some of the 7200RPM 16MB NCQ HD's give it a run for it's money?

Am in the market for a new HD or 2, and want the fastest available, obviously within reason......which probably rules out the SCSI route, unless I just buy a small one and a controller to use as the boot drive.

Thoughts and advice pls.

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

SCSI is fastest overall.

WD Raptor 74GB is the current fastest in the SATA category. Or try a RAID 0 array with two of those for a faster access still! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I think custom pc reviewed one of the newer samsung 7200rpm drives n it came out faster than the raptor... cant remember the model, will have a looksy ltr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Which issue? I have them here, and I thought I remembered reading that one of the New 16MB Buffer NCQ Drives came out as quick if not quicker than the raptor.......and alot more GB's for a similar price.

Inqui

If u have the latest one read the review on the Scan comeleon pc... They question the use of 5 raptors when the samsungs r bigger, faster n quiter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I've a new WD 250GB SATA 2 16mb cache drive in my system, beside my 74GB Raptor and tbh the WD seems to load things a good bit quicker. Although some things load quicker with the Raptor. Dunno. Weird I say...Weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Samsung Spinpoint SP2504Cs I think, 120 or 125Gig platters, SATA300, NCQ, I have 2 in raid0.
    Silent, fast, ninja drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

Are these the samsung drives you have Syxpak?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307913&cks=PRL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I once used a system with a pair of 15kRpm 36 gig Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives in Raid0
    I must say. Very very impressive, although the price is astronomical. $600 for 60 gigs of fast hdd space.

Dundhoone wrote:
    Are these the samsung drives you have Syxpak?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307913&cks=PRL

They're the ones custom pc say are faster than the raptops... 10secs quicker loading levels in farcry..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,239 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I once used a system with a pair of 15kRpm 36 gig Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives in Raid0
    I must say. Very very impressive, although the price is astronomical. $600 for 60 gigs of fast hdd space.

Or even $600 for 36 gigs as they were in RAID0 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Raid 0 is striped, so you get the full capacity of both drives, so 68GB. The problem is if one fails you lose ALL the data.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

always worth a browse:

www.storagereview.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

fastest would be the new pci card coming out. you can put ram into it and it has a battery for when the pc is off. it can hold 4 ram sticks so thats 8gigs. not bad if its at ram speeds.

unkel wrote:
    Or even $600 for 36 gigs as they were in RAID0 ;)
    Youre mixing up raid 0 and raid 1 my good man!
    I wouldn't touch raid 0 ever again.
    Not after that 300 gig of data loss last time.
    *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I highly recommend the WD Raptor , excellent main boot drive and superb load times in games and applications, hasn't failed me yet in nearly a year and a half jinx touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ebooborg

where would i be without my western digital raptor?!

still booting up..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,239 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Youre mixing up raid 0 and raid 1 my good man!

Indeed I was :o

And that's after having had RAID0 for well over a year myself. Went back to non raid a few months ago. Didn't notice any performance decrease btw (2*Samsung SATA 160GB 8MB Cache)

yep, I'd have to agree with you there.
    Unless you are tansferring huge amounts of data (read: linux ISOS) over a 1000mbit lan connection and both computers are using radio0, theres feck all noticable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    and both computers are using radio0

What music do they play regularly? Any good?

¬_¬

*raid 0

• Advertisement
Advertisement