Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderater (the gun kind) Question

Options
  • 29-08-2005 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Sorry bout this but i have yet another question regarding products . As you see it is about moderaters or silencers for a .22lr gun. It is simply is there considerable distance in effectiveness between eg a £35 SAK and £75 Lapwood husher to warrant buying the latter?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

There may well be a difference ....

But I couldnt detect any .. :)
    Remember that they are only effective with sub sonic ammo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yeah , most of my ammo is subsonic anyways (winchester super x subsonic hp I thinks?) .
    I expect there will be some difference but I am asking is it substantial enough to
    fork out the extra 40 odd to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

I use a Hale & Parker, €36.00, moderator on my .22 & have no complaints. It is quiet & I am popping rabbits at 85yds no probs. I had to get the local Supers permission beforehand though.

Apparently if it a removable moderator then you need the Supers permission, if it is a permanent fixture then you don't (still trying to figure out the logic on that one) :)

TJ911...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Trojan911 wrote:
    I use a Hale & Parker, €36.00, moderator on my .22 & have no complaints. It is quiet & I am popping rabbits at 85yds no probs. I had to get the local Supers permission beforehand though.

Apparently if it a removable moderator then you need the Supers permission, if it is a permanent fixture then you don't (still trying to figure out the logic on that one) :)

I would have thought if its a fixed moderator then you should have stated that in the initil licence application and hence permission given that way, maybe im wrong.

It applies to rifles that were never previously threaded for a moderator, you can choose to have it a permanent fixture or just removable. Even still, when I renew the licence every year I still have to apply for permission for the moderator. Don't know why 'cos the permission is granted each year.

TJ911...

• Advertisement

The general feedback seems to be that the £35 ish one is suffice. The supers permission has been obtained and I think my question has been answered.
    Just hough , out of interest , what kinda of noise reduction can I expect with subsonics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

Proably the reason you dont need an extra liscence for the permenant attached "silencer" is that it is an integral part of the barrel.IE if the gun was to be fired without it it wouldnt work?
    BTW how are the Gaurds supposed to know wether the gun was previously threaded as orginal or not??
    As for what suppressor is better price wise,depends on how well the 75E one is built compared to the 35E Parker Hale.If you want a real good one that doesnt require much stripping down etc.Try the Reflex suppressor appx 75 euros.All the 22 can you should ever need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I have used the parker and hale myself and a perfect job:)

(winchester super x subsonic hp I thinks?) .
    Just on the subject of them , I had one miss fire on me today. The pin struck it as usual but it didn't fire. When It came out of the chamber aswell the head was really lose. I pulled it off with fingers and tipped out the powder. Turned out that the primer in the base of the cartridge wasnt complete circle and the firing pin had struck where there wasn't any. Kinda starting to doubt them a wee bit now because overall the aren't great quality. Anyone any similar experience with the Super X range?

My experience with my .22 moderated is the sound is reduced to a noise similar to a spit. The loudest point is the bullet hitting the target/rabbit etc. I have tried many types of subsonic rounds & my recommended one is the Winchester Super X subsonic . My worst experience is the CCI subsonic, very frequent misfires my rifle is new so I know it is not the firing pin.

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I would have thought the loudest thing would be the action of the rifle, but that depends on if its a semi or not i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Semi's dont work to well wityh moderators as they tend to jam no matter what type of ammo you use.

I have a semi-auto Brno a few years ago with a Park and Hale Silencer and every third shot it jammed to went back to bolt action and was the job

Rew wrote:
    I would have thought the loudest thing would be the action of the rifle, but that depends on if its a semi or not i suppose.

Your right there Rew, the action is also noisy, I am using a bolt action.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

hi
    anyone have experience with silencer on a 17 hmr,I,ve been told it might reduce power but not sure .I was considering a reflex but very expensive (euro 270)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

marlin wrote:
    hi
    anyone have experience with silencer on a 17 hmr,I,ve been told it might reduce power but not sure .I was considering a reflex but very expensive (euro 270)

A moderator does NOT reduce power[by that I assume you mean velocity] .It reduces the noise of the shot discharge.The only way you will reduce power/velocity is by reducing the powder charge in the cartridge.Hence also the explanation as to why some folks semi autos do not function properly.Lack of power to cycle the actions properly.This shouldnt be a problem to you if you are hunting.Just cycle the action by hand.Even some pistols designed for "Black OPS" have even a slide lock to prevent the action from cycling.
    If you need alot of silenced shots somthing is wrong in your hunting or other problems.
    The Reflex is an exellent piece of kit in any shape BTW.I have seen a test report on these where they were shot full auto on a CAR and were glowing red hot and still silent.Dunno why you want to do this mind,bar to impress prospective buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

thanks flattop
    main reason I,m considering the silencer is a lot of houses built in the area in past few years and I,m trying to avoid annoying the neighbours ,,,
    my rifle is a bolt action so no probs there with cycling .
    I had a 22lr for many years and find the 17 makes a lot more noise ,it,s used mostly for rabbits,magpies,greys,
    but I,ve had a few foxes at sub 100 yd ranges and am impressed with the little 17gr bullets ,not really a proper fox rifle though .

Advertisement