Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentified wiring...?

Options
  • 29-08-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I am moving into a new house soon and I noticed in the hallway right next to the light switch, theres a small wire hanging out. (see attached image).

I noticed this in a new building recently too - just wondered what this wiring is? Could it be that my house has been pre-wired for an alarm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Eurorunner wrote:
    I noticed this in a new building recently too - just wondered what this wiring is? Could it be that my house has been pre-wired for an alarm?

Could be, it looks light enough. Carefully peel back the sleeve - if it's 4 or six core wire, all different colour it's alarm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Either alarm or for an intercom..If its wired for alarm there should be cables at your windows & doors as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Based on its location in your main hall it could be:
    for the Alarm Keypad,
    for an intercom to your front door / main gate

Unlikely, but it also could be:
    For an alarm panic button
    For the ringer for your doorbell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for that folks. Must be alarm then - as its not really an intercom type of affair. And the ringer for the doorbell seems to be the box on the opposite side of the hallway. One of those things I meant to make sure they do - but I never managed to let them know in time - or so i thought.

I did check the windows but couldnt see any cable. However, there was some of the same type sticking out in corners in a few of the rooms - presumably for PIRs..

Advertisement