Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supressed Inventions

Options
  • 29-08-2005 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Any truth that the Powers That Be have supressed inventions leading to "free energy magnetic gyroscopes, air or cosmos powered energy, water powered engines, highly efficient carburettors, free wireless electricity, cures for cancer and much more" over the years?

http://www.trueconspiracies.com/inventions.htm

I think that there are many cures for many things out there but they are supressed too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't really see why highly efficient carburettors would be have been supressed. I mean they don't do anything to the price of fuel, all they do is filter car exhausts. I can understand that anything that could reduce the cost of energy might be supressed but not a carburettor!

I also doubt that if there was any type of cure for cancer or aids that it would be supressed. There is the argument that drug companies couldn't profit from it, but why not? Just because a 'natural' cure is found doesn't mean a drug company can't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Zapho wrote:
    I also doubt that if there was any type of cure for cancer or aids that it would be supressed. There is the argument that drug companies couldn't profit from it, but why not? Just because a 'natural' cure is found doesn't mean a drug company can't sell it.

I don't know how much you know about business Zapho, but it's all about maximising profit. If a drugs company makes 100bn a year selling treatment for AIDs, or cancer, and one of the heads in R&D stumbles across some encouraging data on a cure, the company will weigh it up and think "We make 100bn selling an ongoing treatment, and that is rising all the time, if we sold the cure, even for the highest price we could get away with, w would make 10bn from once off treatments". Which way do you think it will go?

For a less direct and even more plausible example, the lack of interest shown in terms of funding for R&D cures by global drugs companies, is an indirect way of supressing a cure. This happens. The drugs companies pursue a policy of treatment rather than prevention or cure, which is highly unethical in my opinion.

Read a thread I participated in in Biology forum a while back, it pretty much sums it up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=278976

As regards other technologies, yes many are undoubtedly 'supressed' by corporations (example Oil companies and alternative energy), whether this is directly or through lack of funding is difficult to say, since they do seem to be increasing investment in alternative energy sources at the moment. Bottom line is this, if it ain't in a company's best interest to do something, they wont do it.

On a conspiracy note, it was suggested that good 'ol Nikola Tesla was successful in his 'wireless transmission of electricity' quest, and discovered a way to get natural electricity from the earth itself, but at that stage, Edison's power companies had spread across America, and were highly lucrative (today they are the richest corporation in America), and so the results were squashed, and funding dried up for the genius Tesla, resulting in him dying a relative pauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yeah I see your point about the drug companies. It's had to believe that even if something can be developed for a once off cure for a life threatening disease that just because its not cost effective it might never be used.

I did hear about Tesla's experiments too, but thats not the only example. Before the internal combustion engine was in use, several electric vechiles wre built and worked. I think they had EVs that could go around 15 m/h or so in the very early 1900. Of course fuel being more convienent at the time won out and eventually people forgot all about the EVs. Imagine if they continued building them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 i hate jedis

Relating back to the drugs companies, it has been shown that the companies realise say new asthma and other medication only when the patent runs out on the old med so it is feasible that any aids or cancer cure will be witheld until the leading brands and the follow up meds become public property. More serious perhaps but along the same lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Also, because of the close relationship between big business and politics, if it suits a party's ends to back an outdated product, or an invention that is less efficient but will be more popular, then they will back that project, and often supress the others.

Another point: the oil companies have the best research into alternative fuel sources (mainly for cars) and will buy out or shut down any small operations that are researching.

• Advertisement

Doesn't it seem absurd, that in 2005 we're still using the internal combustion engine, which dates back to it's predecessor, the steam engine in the late 1600's? Exploding small amounts of fuel (petrol) to drive pistons which provide the power. I would certainly have thought the worlds scientists would have come up with new innovations in that field, and increase efficiency more - I mean, German scientists developed rocketry, guidence missles (V2) and jet engines during a 10 years period - of course, they were not inventing for profit making corporations, but for necessity to survival. But the truth is, the internal combustion engine hasn't really been overhauled since the invention of the Diesel engine in 1892.

Scientific advances and big business don't mix well in all circumstances, which is why I support the idea of a central European research facility such as CERN which is funded by the EU states, and affiliated with no corporations (although, how inextricably linked the governments and corporations are, is another issue!).

Kernel wrote:
    But the truth is, the internal combustion engine hasn't really been overhauled since the invention of the Diesel engine in 1892.

Does the Wankel engine count?

Undergod wrote:
    Does the Wankel engine count?

Well, the Wankel rotary engine does deliver tremendous horsepower for it's size and is quiet, but as far as I remember, it isn't very fuel economic and suffered from more emissions than the standard engines used in most cars. I think mazda used it for a bit, and it's used in motorbikes, but it hasn't really taken off, so no, it doesn't count! ;)

Fair enough.

Here's an interesting thing: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I definitely think some inventions were supressed...
    A lot of inventions came out of Kerry in the late 80's that were never heard of again, only kept alive by word of mouth. (eg. glass hammer, waterproof teabag etc.)
    I wonder how much money it cost the corporations to keep these inventions under wraps? ... or were there physical threats involved.

• Advertisement

Undergod wrote:
    Fair enough.

Here's an interesting thing: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Cracking good read, thanks for the info, I had read in Tesla's biography about the project, but good old Wiki has more info than I had known. Did you know his experiments with his Death Ray or wireless transmission of electricity are said to have coincided with the Tunguska Event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

If Tesla's research had succeeded, it would have meant free power for all, clearly that didn't wash with the existing investment into metered electricity and power plants which edison had put in place (ironically, using Tesla's AC alternating current technology).

Kernel wrote:
    If Tesla's research had succeeded, it would have meant free power for all, clearly that didn't wash with the existing investment into metered electricity and power plants which edison had put in place (ironically, using Tesla's AC alternating current technology).

I don't entirely believe all of the claims made about Tesla, but I definitely think there was something to his research, and that's a fine example of what I meant above.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Zapho wrote:
    I think they had EVs that could go around 15 m/h or so in the very early 1900.
    Whats an "EV"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower
    Part of Tesla's idea was to get power from the earth. Whilst many will think that this is crazy, any person who built a home-made radio reciever when they were young will remember that it was power by a wire stuck in the earth. You can call Tesla crazy, but you must remember that a radio can be powered from the earth, so his idea does have some merit.

the_syco wrote:
    Whats an "EV"?

EV is electronic vehicle in that context I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement