Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooters

Options
  • 28-08-2005 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying a 50cc scooter for the commute to work. Won't be a problem as my full B licence covers me.

Can anyone recommend a dealer in Dublin who offers second hand scooters?
    Also, any idea what insurance might cost?

I guessing €500.
    No experience with 2 wheels but been driving cars for 6.
    I'm 24 btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You might looking at a bit more than €500!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Indeed-they won't give a monkey's about your category B experience. You're only 24 so expect more than that. Blame the lack of enforcement of provisional A licence holders' restrictions on carrying pillions, but it'll still cost a bit more than €500 I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Re Insurance: you'll only get a quote from one company - AXA or the broker firm AON. There are discounts for having passed basic competency assessments from approved trainers. Ask about them when you phone them up. Also premium will drop big time after your 25th birthday.
    You should also be able to get a quote from various bike shops around the city. Ask when you're browsing.

<Edit: can finish this off now that the caller has gone>
    You should get some sort of warranty from a bike shop when buying any machine. 3 months would be standard enough. Will cover non-consumables such engine, chassis, but not tyres, brakes, bulbs. With all bikes, I'd suggest going to a shop and sitting on a few to get a feel for what's conformtable. There are a _few_ scooter only shops: Skooter Island on Usher's Island at the new James Joyce Bridge and I think a Vespa shop on Jervis St.
    Get you your Golden Pages and see who's closest to you.
    Don't buy the first machine you see.
    Bring someone else with you to bounce ideas off. Preferably someone who knows about bikes/scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

AlienGav has/had a nice one for sale, check his thread

Here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=274398

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Im 24 with a full b licence n got a quote of €550 with AON on a 50cc moped so ur guestimate is right. As for turning 25... Im looking to get a 125cc so i can use it on the m50, im 24 now so my quote was €2200, im 25 in 3 weeks.. It'll be €720 then, it's amazing the driving skills u learn on the eve of ur 25th b-day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

unklerosco wrote:
    As for turning 25... Im looking to get a 125cc so i can use it on the m50, im 24 now so my quote was €2200, im 25 in 3 weeks.. It'll be €720 then, it's amazing the driving skills u learn on the eve of ur 25th b-day!!!

Thats absolutely ridiculous. F*cking, shít rip off Ireland or what?? :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

unklerosco wrote:
    Im 24 with a full b licence n got a quote of €550 with AON on a 50cc moped so ur guestimate is right. As for turning 25... Im looking to get a 125cc so i can use it on the m50, im 24 now so my quote was €2200, im 25 in 3 weeks.. It'll be €720 then, it's amazing the driving skills u learn on the eve of ur 25th b-day!!!
    Wow, that's an insane drop. How can they justify this? It's just plain stupid. Do they have actuaries working out their risk profiles or just some sort of lucky bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭tk123

If you are getting good quotes ask them to post it out to you - AON gave me a good quote a while back and when I called to go ahead with it it was €100 more!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

tk123 wrote:
    If you are getting good quotes ask them to post it out to you - AON gave me a good quote a while back and when I called to go ahead with it it was €100 more!!

I got a quote of 800 off of AON about a month ago.
    I asked her to send it out to me, and she just hung up.
    Then I rang back and told her she forgot to take my address, and gave it to her.
    2 weeks later, and no sign of it.

Rang back and got someone else. He gave me the real quote of 1916. :/
    Asked him for written confirmation and had it in 2 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd heard that insurnace drops big time when you turn 25. Hope to buy a bike when I turn 25 but will be getting experience on the moped in the meantime.

Buying a 04 Peugeot Vivacity off a dealer next week. He told me top speed was 45 mph. However, I think I remember reading on the government oasis website that a 49cc moped was restricted to 45 kilometres per hour. There's a big differnence between 45mph and 45kph.

Not planning on breaking any speed limits but I'd be interested to know which applies.

Insurance is €543 with AON which is reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Depends on what type of licence you have. If you have a full car licence and no bike licence, you can ride a moped up to 50cc if it is restricted to 45km/h.

If you have a bike licence (A or A1, provisional or full) then the 45km/h restriction does not apply. I don't think it's actually possible to buy a moped already restricted to 45km/h in Ireland though, and it would make you a sitting duck in traffic anyway.

In some countries "restricted" mopeds are allowed at a very young age, or allowed in bicycle lanes - not here though.

Edit: A 50cc should be capable of 45-50mph. I hired a Peugeot Speedfight 50 in Greece a couple of years ago and it would top out at about 75-80km/h, 80km/h is 50mph. If the bike is brand new the top speed will be less as the engine will be tight, read the running-in instructions in the handbook, always use the recommended two-stroke oil and never run out, otherwise the engine seizes :eek:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 daveystyles

Google Carolenash There The Cheapest Insurance Around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

ninja900 wrote:
    I don't think it's actually possible to buy a moped already restricted to 45km/h in Ireland though, and it would make you a sitting duck in traffic anyway.

alot of the peugeot mopeds are restricted to 45km/h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If the scooter I buy is not restricted and goes to 45mph (not 45 km/ph) as hte dealer said, then will my insurance be invalid? I told him that I had a full B licence and not a motorbike license. My insurance quote was based on this.

If it is restricted to 45km/ph, then suddenly I'm not so keen on buying it. I intend to keep to speed limits but on the malahide road, where I live, taxi's absolutly tear down that road towards town in the evening/early morning time when its quiet. I can see myself regualary getting blown at by traffic because I won't be able to keep up.

Haven't gotten around to contacting the dealer to cofirm what the situation is.

Should get a provisional A license and get it derestricted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Get serious and get a 125cc or your traffic predictions will become an everyday occurance. You won't regret a 125 once u start riding...

Advertisement