Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X17 - "... In Translation" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 28-08-2005 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "... IN TRANSLATION" -

Episode Title: "... In Translation"
    Airdate: August 29th 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

When
    the raft the survivors have been building mysteriously burns down, Michael is convinced that Jin is responsible for the sabotage, which only serves to escalate their rivalry.
    Meanwhile, Sun stuns her fellow survivors with a surprising revelation, and Boone gives Sayid a warning about his step-sister Shannon. Lastly, more details of Jin and Sun's troubled marriage are revealed through flashbacks.

Next New Episode: 1X18 - "Numbers" - 29th August 2005

What did you think of '... In Translation'? 28 votes

Excellent!
    0%
    Good
    17%
    stevosliceElmofightin irishHomesickAlien_Bella_ 5 votes
    Average
    64%
    somadigimanspooky donkeysunbeamfjonPeaceyom 1BasqpcheadStimpyoneOFDMpillsaregoooodqztvnutzprospectLochaberEolynSoulGuy 18 votes
    Poor
    10%
    matrimL5kinda lost 3 votes
    Terrible!
    7%
    PacificoStompbox 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Average
    This episode has some good stuff,not a bad one...but with numbers airing right after,I think this one won't be discussed as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I knew by the guilty look on Walt's face when they were all trying to put out the fire that he did it. But I would like to know whether he just lit a match or did he use his powers?

And if he did, does Locke know, since he knows he started the fire anyway? He covered for him anyway by implying it was one of the other people on the island who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Average
    This one was just ok. Jin is not exactly an essential character for me. Pity he broke up wioth his missus, although if it leads to more bikini shots of her on the beach then thats just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Great twist. I really had the boat burning incident pinned on Locke. Silly me.

Jin's a bit of a pain in the ass to be honest. He says that he can't talk to Sun because he can't tell her about her father but that's balls as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Average
    Peace wrote:
    although if it leads to more bikini shots of her on the beach then thats just fine.

LOL, soooo true :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Good
    I rated this excellent. I think it followed a more then excellent episode. Of course everyone has commented on Hurley Episode.

I like the fact that they speak Korean, rather the English.

I think they are prob the best developed characters in this show.

Average
    I like the way my opinion of Jin was completely reversed in this episode.

In the first Jin flashback episode, we see him wash his hands of blood, and say he was doing a 'job'. I assumed he is a cold blooded murderer.

But having seen this episode, we learn that Jin is the opposite. He actually has blood on his hands from saving the safety inspectors life!!

It was an interesting charachter twist.

Are we to believe that Jin was going to take his Dad's advice and stop working for Sun's Dad when they got to America?

I don't get why Sun shouted all that stuff in English about her being about to leave him. It's not like he'd understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Duh! Because she wanted to tell him but couldn't. So saying it in English was a compromise.

A pointless one, while rubbing the "I speak english" in his face, even if she didn't mean to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Average
    Did anyone else notice that when Jin was giving the guy the message the 1st time, Hurley was on the television that the girl was watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Average
    Yup :D Keep an eye for this sort of stuff throughout the series.

Average
    Also when Sun said in English "I was going to leave you", Jin stopped as if he could understand what she was saying - did he understand?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

OFDM wrote:
    Also when Sun said in English "I was going to leave you", Jin stopped as if he could understand what she was saying - did he understand?

There was a bit in another episode where Jin was asking Sun questions about what she thought everyone else was talking about as if he was trying to catch her out. I think that he does speak english as well, but must have a better reason for not wanting to give it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there supposed to be from south korea yes?

i find it hard to believe a suposed well educated man like himself wouldn't know basic english, he seems a bit more traditional but...

Average
    Here's a gif of Hurley getting into a car on the tv (apologies to everyone on 56k - it's about 270kb):

hurleyontvclip1yc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Well we should have to see

OFDM wrote:

I don't think he does speak English. I think he just turned around cos he wasn't used to hearing her speak English yet and it still shocked him a little or maybe for a second he though it was in their own language and turned around cos he couldn't understand (you know the way that happens with accents and stuff?).

I think it'd be too much for him also to be hiding the English language. Also he would've been able to stay out of a lot of arguments if he had been able to understand.

Average
    I just remembered there was a bit on the beach where it sounded like when Jin heard everyone arguing, to him it sounded like Korean. Playing back again it sounds a bit like Korean but also as if the voices were played backwards.

So does he have a power to hear English as Korean or was that just a way to show us how he feels not being able to understand what everyones arguing about?

Average
    OFDM wrote:
    but also as if the voices were played backwards.
    I just did a bit of sound editing, the part that sounds backwards is indeed backwards. When reversed it repeats what is said just before, so I guess they're trying to show that Jin does in fact not understand English at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Average
    Just got to see this episode last nite cos of footie on a monday. I thought it was a very good episode in that it showed us a very good and interesting backstory to reveal the true Jin. It also showed how vulnerable he is on the island seen as he is the only one who cant speak english.

But what struck me most about this episode is once again Locke. This episode left me with one qt stuck on my mind and that was how does he seem to know so much? Is it that the others dont know, dont want to know or dont see what he does? Or is it something else? Not only does he know so much about the island and its powers but also that he knows so much about everybody else. Why was he the only one to know/see that Walt set the raft on fire? He seems to appear at the right time everytime some one is in trouble, like when Jack was chasing his father through the jungle and ended up hanging off the edge of the cliff, Locke appears and helps him up.

Did anybody else think that locke stood out most from this episode?? :confused:

Average
    We know so far that Locke supposedly worked in a box factory, (poss. Hurleys)
    Yet, he seems to be extreemly fit for a man of his age, and have a very good working knowledge of most survival related issues. Also he seems quite wise, and profoundly knowledgable in matters of fate, etc.

I have a personal theory that Locke was actually killed in the plane accident, and that some greater power (the island) has taken over his body, or something along these lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Good
    why has no one yet commented on Damien Rice being played on hurley's walkman, when his battery's run out. good link to next episode as well when hurley's trys to find the french chick to get some 'batteries'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Average
    thebhoy wrote:
    why has no one yet commented on Damien Rice being played on hurley's walkman, when his battery's run out. good link to next episode as well when hurley's trys to find the french chick to get some 'batteries'.

Hurley doesn't go to get the batteries for his discman, you know.

Good
    Go way, your not serious, you mean discmans aren't powered by huge car-type batteries anymore?

Average
    The battery Hurley got was less than 1/4 the size of a car battery?

Good
    ok, jees: -

what!!! you mean discmans aren't powered by not so huge car type batteries, which are less than 1/4 the size of an actual car battery, anymore!!

better!!!

Average
    thebhoy wrote:
    ok, jees: -

what!!! you mean discmans aren't powered by not so huge car type batteries, which are less than 1/4 the size of an actual car battery, anymore!!

better!!!

Thats the one ;)

No, they are usually powered by 4 AA batteries.

Actually, I thought these two episodes ended unusally. Most epsidoes ended leaving you with a situation or revelation.
    But "In Translation" ended very serenley, and "Numbers" ended on the screen shot of the numbers on the metal 'pod' thing.
    Neither ending left you itching to see the what happens next!

Good
    but the numbers on the hatch are/were pivotal to the whole plotline of hurley's background, and it seems everyone else on the island.

I had seen up to this episode for the past 3/4 months, then my comp broke, so i've been waitin that long to find out more about them numbers. so at the moment i'm itchin like crazy to see what happens next!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement