Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I open a corroded/rusted screw?

Options
  • 28-08-2005 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Went up the ladder to gutter level (and not enjoying it) to replace a blown bulb in an outdoor security light. Tried to open the housing to replace the bulb to find that the screw was badly rusted and corroded. Any idea of what I can do to open the screw? My Dad suggested a good soaking of 3-in-One Oil to loosen it up. Done that and letting it work overnight. If that fails what do I do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

WD 40 is the usual miracle cure, take care not to ream the screw heads or you may end up having to buy a new light.

Is it a screw or a nut and bolt ? if it's a nut and bolt you may be able to drill it out or cut it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

WD40 it your only man.If that doesn't work the best bet is to drill the screw till the head pops off.To fix the cover back tight use a cable tie.Another good idea is if you do manage to loosen the screw,cover it in vaseline before closing it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

As oultined, spray generously with WD-40, or Loos'n it or any penetrating oil (NOT 3 IN 1 OR THE LIKE), BUT LEAVE TO PENETRATE for as long as possible (overnight) before attempting to undo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

you could always try asking it nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭hansov

Thanks folks. Will try your suggestions. RooferPete: its a screw/bolt into the housing of the light. No nut at the other side ('cept the nut on the ladder :D ). Tried to talk to it nicely but coaxing didn't work. Afraid the language then began to get a bit (read that as a LOT) coarse. Let's see what happens tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Remember there's only two things you need in your toolbox, WD40 and Duct tape.

If it won't move and should - WD40.
    If it does move and shouldn't - Duct tape.

Hope that helps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

a few gentle taps will often do wonders with a seized screw,nut or bolt. of course it depends what you tap it with. i find a 4 pound lump hammer to be very effective. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You may be able to get a vise-grip/mole-grip onto the head if it is a button head or cheesehead screw. if so you will have multiplied your leverage by a good factor.
    alternatively you could get some valve grinding paste and put a little on the end of your screw driver this will reduce cam-out and help you apply maximum torque.
    Some screwdrivers also have a hex where you can use a spanner this is also a help.
    Don't fall off the ladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

You can also get a small bottle of rust remover from a motor factors.

(I only know this from looking at them on saturday last prior to fixing up a couple of chips on my car paintwork).

• Advertisement

:confused: Eh shabby? This will only help if the rust remover removes the screw as well :D . The head of the screw/bolt is corroded and so I don't think your solution will work!

Thanks folks. The WD40 didn't work so I drilled it out and used a cable tie. Just as an aside - will the cable tie handle the teperature of these halogen lamps? Mine is never on for long but they can get pretty hot! At least now I know how to drill out a screw! Job done - thanks all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It's possible to drill the centre of the bolt with a very small bit and then get a set of counter clockwise screw devices (maybe at McQuillans, Capel St.).
    You screw one of these into the drill hole and as it goes in anticlockwise it grips the bolt and unscrews it. I've used them and they do work.

Tricky doing this up a ladder though - easier ways of amusing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Reyman wrote:
    It's possible to drill the centre of the bolt with a very small bit and then get a set of counter clockwise screw devices (maybe at McQuillans, Capel St.).
    You screw one of these into the drill hole and as it goes in anticlockwise it grips the bolt and unscrews it. I've used them and they do work.

Tricky doing this up a ladder though - easier ways of amusing yourself
    They are called easy-out screw removers , a caveat if you break it off inside the rusted bolt you will never get it out, they are extremely hard.
    I have found that if you drill the hole out exactly square and drill it firstly with a small hole and work up progressively in size you can stick the square end of a file into the hole and remove it with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

hansov wrote:
    Thanks folks. The WD40 didn't work so I drilled it out and used a cable tie. Just as an aside - will the cable tie handle the teperature of these halogen lamps? Mine is never on for long but they can get pretty hot! At least now I know how to drill out a screw! Job done - thanks all. :)

They will tend to wither after a few years, but I'd expect you to be replacing the bulb long before the cable tie gives up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

hansov wrote:
    :confused: Eh shabby? This will only help if the rust remover removes the screw as well :D . The head of the screw/bolt is corroded and so I don't think your solution will work!

I'll get me coat

:confused::confused:

Advertisement