Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBA or DS?

Options
  • 28-08-2005 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Don't know much about hand held consoles. Getting one soon for b'day. Which should I go for? Main use will be when travelling (round the world) so battery life is very important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

DS, definately. I don't know much about the other two, but I know enough to recommened you to go for the DS!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The DS plays GBA games, so this is a no-brainer. DS, definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

TmB wrote:
    The DS plays GBA games, so this is a no-brainer. DS, definitely.

^^ What he said.

The only reason to get a GBA would be if you were really strapped for cash. But there isn't actually a big difference at all in the price of the two, so definately go for the DS.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Screen on the DS is brighter and clearer then the GBA SP. WIth the DS you can play both sets of games so you laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

cheers all - looks like a "no brainer"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Am I going to be the only vilified bête noire in the Nintendo Forum to suggest: depends what games you're into and how/where you intend to play?

I have absolutely no shame in admitting that I've recently got rid of my 2 DSs and traded back down to a SP (and no intention of getting a PSP, btw).

Sure, the screen ain't so nice as a DS, but -

(i) all I can see myself ever playing on the move is Advance Wars (1/2). The DS version might interest me in a few years' time, but not enough to stir that irrepressible *need* at the moment.
    (ii) I've had every handheld of note ever, over the past 3 years or so (was collecting, then got rid - put it that way, the only one I never got -understandably- was the NEC LT). Tried the must-haves on each. Still went back to Advance Wars (after having owned a GBA with it, then sold it and missed it ever since).
    (iii) and the battery on my SP lasts longer than on either DSs (with backlight on all the time, as I only ever get to play late at night).

Now, that's just me and my €0.02, but... to the OP, think about your gaming habits (if you have any yet) and the fact that some game styles do not scale down too well (e.g. racing, FPS).

Advertisement