Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on American Imports

Options
  • 28-08-2005 4:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

I realise that this has probably been asked many a time, I apologise. If I see a second-hand guitar on an American site can I expect to pay 21% tax on it? I have no idea how the system works, so if the guitar is €1500 to start with does that mean an added €300 and more? If so, Holy Jesus, thanks for any information.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Instrument Resources sticky, import duty calculator.

You'll be charged on the value of the instrument plus whatever the shipping cost is.

Your discount is whatever the exchange rate is, ahhh for the days of €1 = $1.32 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

That's the end of that boyhood dream, that adds a whopping €370 on to the second-hand PRS i was looking at, that's before I know how much shipping is, I think that I can safely say I'm not buying that one, that's the problem with second-hand stuff, there ain't no stock so if I save up I can't guarantee it'll still be there. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Credit Union?

The best way to sell it to yourself is to think how much it would cost to buy over here and how much you'd save and how clever you'd be by buying abroad. Think of the savings, man, not the expense ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Doctor J wrote:
    Credit Union?

The best way to sell it to yourself is to think how much it would cost to buy over here and how much you'd save and how clever you'd be by buying abroad. Think of the savings, man, not the expense ;)

I like this devil on the shoulder stuff, I think I just found a $500 cheaper version of the same guitar, I'm hoping the only reason the other one is that much dearer because it has a flame maple top, whereas as this cheaper one is "Blackburst". What a name for a colour:"Blackburst", from the picture, I see no evidence of a "burst" of any description and black on the PRS website, as a colour, when clicked, just comes up as a blank page (yes the page is Black). Ah well, I want the guitar to play it, and maybe sometimes to look at, the maple top would've been sweet but it's probably for the best. Thanks for the help. I like your way of thinking though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I've just bought a guitar on ebay and it was sent by USPS. So whats the story with delivery? Will i get a letter to tell me to collect it from customs or will it be sent to my address with a tax bill? Anybody shed some light on this for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

It varies. Unlikely that you will have to collect unless they try to deliver when you are out. Often they will contact you in advance of delivery for the money or collect the money while delivering. If VAT/duty is due you wont be gettin' your sweaty hands on the goods before they get the money for obvious reasons. ;)
    Also there is some chance of goods getting through customs without attracting VAT/duty but dont count on it.

Assuming your guitar is coming from outside the EC?

It's an Ibanez that i've been looking for for quite a while that i got for a snip, I was the only bidder and i got it for the reserve of $100, it was a girl selling and she had spelt Ibanez wrong so it didn't turn up in the usual searches. The guitar is coming from Brazil. The guitar and shipping only cost €160. So should I be expecting to pay around the €40 in tax and duty? The link in the charter for the calculator isn't working

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Incorrect spelling, doesnt know anything about a guitar, from brazil, low reserve... You'll be lucky if the guitar even exists to be honest

She seemed to know a lot about thre guitar itself. She also has over 200 sales to her name and not one neg feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah, id like to see a link too...i hate to say it, but it sounds very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Onkle51 wrote:
    She seemed to know a lot about thre guitar itself. She also has over 200 sales to her name and not one neg feedback
    That sounds promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Just FYI of everyone here, for what it's worth, I recently bought a new snare drum and ride cymbal from America and both of them got nabbed on customs.
    I missed the first time they came around with the snare, but I got chatting to the postman the time the ride cymbal arrived, and he was telling me that it looks like customs have hired a load of extra staff and are now checking parcels from pretty much anywhere - Israel being on of the notable places he mentioned where a package had been caught for customs (apparently not enough came in from there to warrant checking). Asian imports are also being more frequently caught as well :(

He claimed that if the package is under $100 total then there's not much they can do, but I don't know how much truth there is in this..

So, heads up lads!

Advertisement