Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malti-poo Dogs

Options
  • 27-08-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me if its possible to get a malti-poo puppy in ireland?its a cross between a maltese and a poodle if anyone had any information on where i could locate them etc it would be greatfully appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If it is a cuddly, cute looking crossbreed you're looking for, make it easy for yourself and check the dogs on irishanimals.ie. Plenty of cuties to be found there.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to have a "Malty-Poo" (eek ...what a name :eek: ) please think again. By creating demand for just another pseudo-breed, some experimental breeders' newest fashion, you'll just help along the creation of another fad. Not neccessarily one that will lead to the general betterment of dogs and their health.

Way too many ****ed up Labradoodles, Schnoodels and other -oodles out there already. Most of them created by people who think breeding dogs is as easy as mixing paint ...a bit of this and a bit of that equals ...well ...not always what you expected. The whole lot bred from dogs without health screening, hip scores, check for heredetary deseases ...and you're heading for disaster.

Stay well clear.

And pleeeease don't give these amateurs playing GOD any money for their "creations" either ...it'll just create more greedy amateurs jumping on the -oodles wagon.

Thanks for indulging my rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Well said. A Malti-poo, or Yorkie-poo, or Labradoodle, is basically a glorified mongrel. Sounds a bit harsh, but the fact of the matter is you're paying an absolute fortune for something that isn't even purebred.

These dogs are very popular in America at the moment.
    The reason? Their names sound cute. It's all a bit of a scam really. It's the same with "Teacup" varieties.
    "Teacup" versions of a breed (usually Chihuahuas etc) are bred to be much smaller than the regular versions. By being so small, they also fall short of the breed standard (a set of regulations set for each breed, e.g. what colour they should be, how tall etc, the dog that's closest is the one that would win at a show). In which case, people who buy these "Teacups" are actually paying more money for an animal that is worth less. The American Kennel Club refuses to recognise these "Teacups" as a variety in themselves, because what they actually are is dogs that are too small. But tiny dogs are very "in", so these breeders who breed dogs that are not good examples of their breed are cashing in.

It's all fashion. Fashion sucks.

End of rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

Why don't you just get a Maltease or a Poodle ... why does it have to be a bit of both? The fact that your looking for a specific breed (not even a pure-bred) suggests that you do only want it because it's "in" and not just because you want a dog! Ask yourself why you want this dog...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

A lot of people want a dog that doesn't shed- this is used as a selling point for Malti-poos etc but there are many breeds that don't shed:

Airedale terrier
    Border terrier
    Cairn terrier
    Irish terrier
    Irish water spaniel
    Scottish terrier
    Shih-tzu
    West Highland White terrier
    Yorkshire terrier

These breeds are one hell of a lot easier to get hold of in this country than either Maltese or poodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

ok thanks just needed to know exactly what i was looking for i have no knowledge of dogs or inter-breeds or any of that stuff hence the reason im asking yous!as for fantasy why would i want a dog because its "in" its not a piece of clothing were talking about here. the reason i was looking for a malti-poo is that my family want a dog and i read somewhere that malti-poos are suitable for apartments(dont no if thats true??) and it doesnt shed so i thought it would be ideal (seen as though we live in one)and its a cute dog but im open to other suggestions!thanks nala for your suggestions but fantasy please keep your insulting comments to yourself thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Keep in mind that poodles can be extremely yappy little things. Choosing a dog for apartment living is about more than just size, your living in a very high density environment and neighbours can be very easily alienated by a noisy pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hi Pokerking

No offence ...but if you have no experience with dogs, I would suggest you look for an older dog ...possibly one that has passed puberty (ca. 10 - 15 months or so, depending on size). By that age they are easyer to assess and you can find one that fits you and yours like a glove. A good rescue can help in choosing the right dog for you.

I know, everyone wants puppies ....because they're sooo cute and also people think that they can raise them according to THEIR rules and hence end up with the perfect dog.

But it isn't that easy or simple. First of all, dogs are perfect little individuals and the cutest pup can turn out to be a right pain in the neck ...no matter how well you raise it and secondly nothing is as easily spoiled as a pup if you don't know what you're doing.
    With a grown-up dog you know exactly what you're getting (or you SHOULD, if somebody competent assists you) ...believe me ...it's so much easier.

btw ...puppies also are hard work ...wiping piss and poo ...rescueing things from getting chewed ..getting up at all hours and so on ...none of that with a grown dog.

Think about it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

It's true Irish Terriers don't shed but it has it's downsides they have to be hand stripped and take it from someone who has bred Irish Terriers it is not for the faint hearted. Lazy people tend to shave them but just ruins their coats they need to be hand stripped and if you have cats beware Irish Terries love nothing better than to have a game of chase that cat. They're are feisty and great fun but there is a lot of work involved in that coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 rose of jericho

If you are living in an apartment terriers might not be a great idea unless you love the outdoors as I said before they are feisty and love outside one of my Irish Terriers dosen't like being in the house cause he gets too warm the kitchen is as far as he will go. Poodles are also a very intelligent dog and need a lot of stimulation and exercise don't know if you are around alot during the day but this might not be a good choice either.

Advertisement