Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed - threads stripped on crankcase cover

Options
  • 27-08-2005 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

After changing the oil filter on my bike I noticed that one of the bolts for the filter cover wouldn't tighten :rolleyes:
    The threads in the bolt hole are stripped - is this something I can repair myself?
    I don't mind having a go re-tapping the hole, but I don't want to make matters worse. Ideally I'd like to tap the hole oversize and insert a helical and re-use the correct size bolt.
    Not sure where I'd get all the tools etc, probably easier to get it done somewhere - anyone have any ideas where I could get this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

oups, sounds like you will have to re-drill and use size biger tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ratchet wrote:
    oups, sounds like you will have to re-drill and use size biger tap.
    Yes but then he wants to insert a helicoil to get back to the original thread. He knows what needs doing but he's looking for someone to advise on where to get this done. I got a small piece of machining done by a place in the Clondalkin Industrial Estate but it was so long ago now that I can't remember. They charged me fcuk all though. You could try a mechanic or two in your area but I have a feeling you might get a cheap tap and helicoil set on ebay for lss than you'll be charged by many rip-off merchants and at least you have theose tools then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

if space allows i would re drill it and use size bigger stud/nut combination. this way if you over do it again, the only thing you will get damaged will be actual stud. helicoil may just go again(specially at M6 size)

you can try Howards engineering ( off North Strand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Cheers for the replies lads, local bike mechanic sorted the problem be re-tapping oversize and inserting a helicoil - all for €25 :D
    I'll have to go back to him again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

BigCon wrote:
    Cheers for the replies lads, local bike mechanic sorted the problem be re-tapping oversize and inserting a helicoil - all for €25 :D
    I'll have to go back to him again!

what place did you get this done in?? as i have the exact same problem, one screw wont go into ngine cover and leaking oil a bit. What was the name of the garage that did it for you?

• Advertisement
Advertisement