Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10,000m World Record

Options
  • 27-08-2005 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

From BBC Sport
    BBC Sport wrote:
    Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele set a new 10,000m world record with a time of 26 minutes 17.53 seconds at the Brussels Golden League meeting on Friday.
    Bekele broke the previous best of 26:20.31 he set in Ostrava last year.

The Olympic and two-time world champion became the fourth athlete to break the mark in Belgium, after Paul Tergat, Emile Zatopek and Salah Hissou.

"It was more than just perfection tonight," said Bekele. "I am proud rather than happy."

Bekele's brother Tariku set the pace and took him through the halfway mark five seconds inside world record pace.

Bekele's year began tragically when his fiancee died of a suspected heart attack while they were out on a training run.

"I am not happy in my life and still very sad," Bekele said.

"This year it started sadly with the death of my fiancee and this doesn't bring her back.

"But you have to get on with my life and that's what I have done. That's all you can do."

Advertisement