Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pvc door needs to be lifted,how?

Options
  • 26-08-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Getting tiles put down over existing tiiles but the PVC door needs to be lifted 10mm.....tilers said the Hinges can be lifted by 10mm which would facilitate the tiles. Mentioned something about washers being used on the hinges to increase the height. Is this a hard/tricky job that i would be better off getting down professionally or can i do it myself.

I see it being a right pain to get a guy out for such a small job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The door is part of a PVC window system? Not a "floppy" door?

If possible I would avoid ahving to raise the door.

I would strongly suggest you go with a professional on this as they probably need to take that 10mm out of the centre of the door (well out of the vertical sides and the panels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

surely if you just raised the door on the hinges the whole locking system would be off by 10mm too? Has the tiling already been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

no tiling is being done today and tomorrow...but the locking system seems to be movable also i.e. move the screws of the locking system up 10 mm also....worst case screnario i can probably take up the tiles but the is not much room o work with aand it may be a bit unlevel

If it's only a single point locking door that shouldn't be too big a deal.. but if it's one of those 5pt jobs you'd have your work cut out!

im no expert (obviously) but i think its a five point job (there is 5 bolts all along door that seem to slot into latches on the frame if thats what you mean...

i think i will let this one go and get a pro....im an ok DIY'r but i draw the line at messing with this stuff as i could be left without a front door indefinitly....which opens a whole new can of worms

• Advertisement

Yup sounds like a 5pt locking system. Probably for the best to leave it to a pro! Or when Rooferpete comes on ask him.. he seems to know a alot of little things about everything! He'd have a fair idea what's involved.

cheers lads tks for the help

Advertisement