Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know anyone who doesn't like Lost?

Options
  • 26-08-2005 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

I can't think of anyone who has said they don't like lost. Anyone I know who doesn't love it hasn't seen it yet. Does anyone know anyone who doesn't like lost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

my sister forgot to watch it the first few times, so she's not watching it atall.
    gets pissed off with me when i talk about it, or wont go for pints on a monday nite anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Me.
    ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I know a few people that dont really like it, because it can take ages to find some things out.
    My boyfriend claims not to like it, but still insists that I record it for him when he's in work on monday nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I know people who are too stupid to watch it, but I don't know anyone that's seen it and not liked it then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I know lots of people who hate it...

My parents started watching it when it started on RTE and didn't like it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My Dad's a fan, but my Mum thinks a bit "freaky", which is why my Dad likes it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone I know who says they don't like have never seen it or only 15 minutes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Binomate wrote:
    I can't think of anyone who has said they don't like lost. Anyone I know who doesn't love it hasn't seen it yet. Does anyone know anyone who doesn't like lost?

I've seen it and I absolutely despise it. I know it's difficult for you fanboys to believe that other people may not like something you like but, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing very appealing about watching a different species of tree shaking in the distance every week.

Neuro wrote:
    I've seen it and I absolutely despise it. I know it's difficult for you fanboys to believe that other people may not like something you like but, as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing very appealing about watching a different species of tree shaking in the distance every week.

Witty :rolleyes:

But seriously, some people don't like this TV show? I honestly thought that every single person who owned a TV, watched this show religiously.
    /end sarcasm.

You know what, you're right. I never even began to consider that other people have opinions of their own, and that they may not necessarily like to watch a certain TV show. How ignorant of me. :rolleyes:

If you're not going to add to this forum constructively, you can fúck off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I don't hate it, but I do not like it as much as some people seem to; to me, it is just an unrealistic, bubble-gum, soap-a-like masqueurading as high-brow, intelligent art. Though I am cynicaler than most probably:(

Basically if it's on and I have nothing else to do, I'll watch it. But I wouldn't lose sleep over missing it. It has a very immediatly engrossing style, which encourages this type of viewing, just like a soap!

It's very overhyped too.

That bird is nice though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

qz wrote:
    Witty :rolleyes:

But seriously, some people don't like this TV show? I honestly thought that every single person who owned a TV, watched this show religiously.
    /end sarcasm.

You know what, you're right. I never even began to consider that other people have opinions of their own, and that they may not necessarily like to watch a certain TV show. How ignorant of me. :rolleyes:

lol...well said :D obviously if he thinks the entent of the show is trees shaking,he might have missed what the show is actually about...intelligent tv has that effect on some people,perhaps he should go watch the oc? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

I don't think this guy likes it either:[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]No love Lost[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Charlie Brooker
    Saturday August 27, 2005
    The Guardian

[/font] [font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Like about 6 million other people, I tuned in for the two-part premiere of Lost (Wed, 10pm, C4) a few weeks ago, and mightily enjoyed it.[/font] [font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Yeah, so they all look like supermodels, apart from Token Blobbo Boy. And yeah, so despite the plane crash, they've only sustained cosmetic little injuries - a dainty scratch here, a neat graze there, and absolutely no one with a whopping great shard of metal jutting from their eye. And yeah, so a few of the characters could be replaced by simple glove puppets with "Tormented Hero" and "Selfish Macho Guy" stitched on them, and you wouldn't really notice. So what? I liked it.[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Because oooh, I thought to myself, oooh, it's a bit like a cross between The Twilight Zone and 24: schlock, but quality schlock. What's the mysterious force that keeps smashing down trees? How come there's a polar bear on the island? Will they get to the bottom of the looping 16-year-old distress signal? Pointless questions, but they intrigued me.[/font] [font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]And just like everyone else, I started theorising about what might be going on. Perhaps they're in purgatory. Perhaps they've gone back in time, or been zapped into an alien theme park. Perhaps the last episode will end with the camera pulling back to reveal the whole thing's been happening inside the brass knee of a gigantic clockwork robot. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Now, several weeks in, perhaps it's just a big con. I was halfway through this week's episode when I realised, with a bit of a jolt, that I was finding it profoundly irritating. I stopped wondering about the mysterious island, and started wondering whether Lost itself is worth bothering with - because it's starting to strongly resemble a load of navel-gazing soap claptrap that passes itself off as something more stimulating by going "woo, woo, I'm mysterious" every five minutes. It reminds me of the sort of rubbish "surreal" painting you do during art class aged 14 (you know - a giant eye hovering over a desert landscape, surrounded by floating question marks, the kind of thing even a Marillion album cover would consider embarrassing).[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Lost? They should've called it Metaphor Island.[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The flashback format doesn't help. This week's episode keeps nipping back in time to examine Jack's past - which is hard to care about. And I suppose over the coming weeks we're going to go through all the other characters, one by one, discovering there's more to them than meets the eye, and they're all running away from something, and they've all got demons to face, and so on. Instead of enjoying some good old-fashioned spooky fun, we've got to wade through a load of narcissistic "look deep within" bumwash: whiny self-obsession masquerading as a spiritual quest. That's not a supernatural thriller, that's a psychologist's chore.[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Well I don't care about their wounded inner children. I just want to watch them fighting ghosts on monster island. But they won't let me. They're too busy running around with their heads up their backsides. No wonder they're lost.[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]If I sound annoyed it's because I started out enjoying the show and I'd quite like to go back there, thank you very much. Maybe it'll improve. I wouldn't know: I've been dodging spoilers like nobody's business. One thing's for sure - if the series ends with a big wobbly question mark and a promise of further revelations next year (instead of a neat Twilight Zone ending that solves the mystery), I'm going to sue the entire American TV industry for wasting my time.[/font]

Neuro wrote:
    I don't think this guy likes it either

I'm sure that's all very interesting, but we know Lost isn't everyone's favourite show.

What are you trying to prove?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i have only seen three eps and think its meh,most my friends have seen loads of it and hate it.my best friend said,dont watch any more as it is a pile of overrated crap :)
    they were poked into watching it by other people and i think i am being poked likewise.so when i watch some more you will hear from me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Everyone i know didnt like it until E4 started showing it , even tho i told them to watch it.

But once E4 started showing i suddenly become everyons american cousin.
    So being the bastard that i am i became a cousin and got 2 dvds and 1 cd and renamed all the eps in a different order ie 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 became 21 4 5 8 6 9 19 24 etc:

Funny but cruel :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Everyone i know didnt like it until E4 started showing it , even tho i told them to watch it.

But once E4 started showing i suddenly become everyons american cousin.
    So being the bastard that i am i became a cousin and got 2 dvds and 1 cd and renamed all the eps in a different order ie 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 became 21 4 5 8 6 9 19 24 etc:

Funny but cruel :D

kdjac

Oh, you are a wánker. :D But a genius too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've never even watched it.

Wanted to, missed the pilot, said ah **** it. Meant to watch the re-run, ended up missing that too because of work.

So never got around to it.

Course there is the possibility of downloading, but...am I REALLY that bothered? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

qz wrote:
    Enough of the abuse qz... fair enough if someone doesn't like it... the whole point of this thread is that some people don't like the show

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hi, my name's Zaph and I don't like Lost.

I watched the first 4 episodes but just couldn't get into it. Whether it was that it didn't live up to all the hype beforehand (including the fact that friends in America had been telling me how great it was for months before it was shown here) or whether it really isn't a great programme, I don't know, but it just ain't for me. However, the biggest problem I have is that some of its fans seem to think that I, and others like me, seem to me deficient in some way, possibly mentally, for not liking it. I like Star Trek, for instance, but accept that many do not, but I don't abuse them for what I may perceive as their lack of taste. All I ask is that the Lost fans behave in the same way towards those of us who have not embraced "the island". Like Star Trek, it is only a tv show, after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Don't like it either. each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bawpsherep

I find that a few people I know just can't seem to get into it, whether this is because the premise of the show doesnt do anything for them or they just don't have the patience to stick with it. Friend of mine watched the pilot and asked me "So whats that thing shaking the trees and making all the noise", to which I replied "You'll have to keep watching it to find out". He promptly decided at that point that it wasnt worth his time!

Honestly, the people who have tried to get into it and lack the patience to watch it I find, seem to be hung up on the island storyline and the mysteries that surround it. The backbone of this show is the character studies and flashbacks in each episode. So if those plot threads don't hold you.... well, to each their own indeed.

Advertisement