Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To GLOCK or not??????

Options
  • 26-08-2005 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I am currently in the process of purchasing my first pistol, seriously thinking of a GLOCK 17L 9mm. Will be doing both practical and paper bulls (hopefully)!
    Anyone got any experience or opinion on this model? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ask Woody. :D
    Sorry Chopperdog, inside joke. :rolleyes:

I'm sure someone who knows about such things will be along shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Ask Woody
    :D:D

I'm sure he will reply "Automatically" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hello Chopperdog,
    It is very hard to give an answer to your question,
    because as with most things, one persons meat, is anothers poison!

I personally like Glocks a great deal,
    I have shot the Glock,17,19,22,31 and 34 I have not shot a 17L but it is very similar to the 34, the 17L is half an inch longer and 1 ounce heavier, it has a long slide and therefore a long sight radius, which some people think makes a difference, if you are taught to shoot a pistol with a proper grip and stance,that you can repeat when you shoot, (in the same way you mount a shotgun shooting clays, the same way everytime, and where you look the gun points !) then an inch more or less will not make a great deal of difference.

I think the standard Glock 17 would be a better buy, if you intend shooting some practical, clearing leather might prove harder with the longer slide.

just my 2 cents, (Euro).

Some others here may tell you Glocks are made of plastic, buy a real gun,
    Gaston Glock, has sold a whole lot of them to very happy customers
    worldwide, Its your money you choose.

Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Chopperdog,
    I never liked the Glock personally, found it a bit to bulky & didn't like the fact of no safety catch also the plastic finish to it didn't do it any favours for me, so I opted for a 9mm Beretta semi automatic, can't remember model as it's been a few years. However I do know some guys who swear by it & are pleased with it's performance & wouldn't change for any other side arm.

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Chopperdog

I have been shooting the Glock (mainly the 17) over the last few months and am in the process of purchasing one (paid for and sitting in dealers awaiting an Article 7). It does have a safety but not a manual safety and this is considered a plus for practical pistol as if you have a manual safety you have to use it and it slows you down. They say your finger is the best safety anyway.

I shot one a couple of weeks ago that had 3 modifications that made it feel very nice. It had a lighter trigger, a rubber grip and modified sights. I reckon I'll do something similar with mine when I get it as long as it wont disqualify me from shooting production division. As far as I know the 17L barrell is too long (6.02")for production (max 5"), thats why I went for the 17 (4.49").

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Chopper
    Handguns are like shoes, some will fit your hands better then others this should be your primary concern. Go try a few different ones
    I'd would also go for the 17 not the 17L. The 17 is less likely to fall foul of IPSC or IDPA competition rule changes. The 17L is kind of dorky
    You should go to glock talk right now and ask your question!
    http://www.glocktalk.com/
    The site has almost 50.000 members yacking about glocks.

My impression of the Glock17 are..
    Its a fine pistol. Very reliable.
    Points well and is very consistent trigger wise because its DAO.
    The grip is slightly large for my hand and a little square. The Mag release and slide release and a little hard for me to reach smoothly, But if I bought one I would get a extended mag release and slide release (I'd have to check the IPSC rule book first)
    The recoil in 9mm is a little snappy compared to an all metal framed pistol like the Beretta 92d or the Sig P226, its a weight issue. Glock shooters who try my sig find that my sig is more stable, the G17L with its extra weight would probably be more stable as well but not half as cool as the G17 :D
    I shot a 10 year old glock17 earlier this year that probably had 100.000 rounds through it and it was still beautiful.

Because there are SO MANY glocks out there and lots of police departments use them they do have a high occurrence of issues but I believe thats because there are just so many out there. And nothing to do with Gastons design

Most or all of the glock problems I have heard about have come from people using crappy over pressure reloads and glock's which have an unsupported chamber tend to kaboom. But can happen with any handgun.
    Kabooms are extremely rare with the Glock 17 it has happened with .40 and .45ACP.

Pictures
    sup-unsup.jpg
    afr0xx-4.jpg

This article will explain the issue and reassure you about the rock solid Glock 17
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

If you get a Glock you should only use jacketed bullets in the barrel because the polygonal lands and groves of the barrel tend to foul up using lead bullets. Again this would be a reloading problem.

But at the end of the day you should get the gun that fits your hand the best! I was able to try a dozen or so handguns before buying.

For me it was a SigP226 9mm and I'm really happy with it. I would never get rid of it. Its DA/SA and therefore a little less consistent between the first and second shot then the glock. But in SA mode its better then the Glock which is DAO. Even though I love Sigs and would like a P226 in .357Sig next as well as a S&W 696.
    I was really impressed by the Glock G37 in .45gap, it has a powder puff recoil and has the "stopping power" (Non politically correct term alert!) of .45acp in the frame of a G17. Me thinks I'll get one next year.

I just bought a raffle ticket for a glock today!! :D

I guess after all the typing I should show you some pictures of part of my collection
    partofthecollection.jpg

Mikes Collection...like the range?
    mikesguns.jpg

Straight out of the box! havent even cleaned it yet!
    brandnew.jpg

Phew that was a lot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

jaycee wrote:
    :D:D

I'm sure he will reply "Automatically" :rolleyes:

Funny boyz;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Barrel too long for Production Division.Not allowed to change trigger either.
    Check out IPSC website.Look under Divisions on left side then scroll down to production.Gives all approved guns and what modifications that you can do

www.ipsc.org

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

I actually had asked myself the same question a few weeks ago and my research brought me back to 3 guns - (& prices from a Nor Irl dealer)

Glock 17- £475
    Heckler & Koch USP 9 (Custom Sport) - £550
    Sig 226 - £900

I'm just not convinced by the Glock, but a lot of people have em so I don't think there is anything particularily wrong with them.

The Sig is a beautiful side arm but a bit punchy in price for a first time purchase.

Leaves me with the H&K which seems to research well & gets very good reviews anywhere I have looked.

Worthy of consideration? Maybe throw that one into the mix?

S.

PS anyone know of a ROI or NI dealer doing them cheaper then love to hear who!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Outdoor Hobby Leixlip Glock 22 €665 and HK's cheaper than N.I. price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Glock 17 - Donal McCloy, Toomebridge €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

Spoke to Outdoor Hobbies & H&K is €900 which works out about €100 more expensive than N.I. Maybe they will do a deal on a package including Ammo & Gun locker.

S

Sorry for the hijack of your thread Chopperboard - but do take a serious look at the H&K USP 9!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

How is it working with Irish dealers now. Are they still just working as agents for dealers abroad, or can they import the pistol for showroom use?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Beattie Firearms is the official Glock stockist in the north, hes in Ballcarry outside Belfast. A G17 (which you should go for and not the 17L) is about 420 stg, cheapest in the whole island. Youre cutting out the middle man.

Great guys up there too, and also have the cheapest 9mm ammo in NI too, £12.50 / 100 I think they charge.

About mods for the G17, I have lighter springs, lighter trigger connectors etc etc just PM me on here if you want to go down that road.

Smirky wrote:
    Glock 17- £475
    Heckler & Koch USP 9 (Custom Sport) - £550
    Sig 226 - £900
    Thats an Insane price for a Sig P226!! I paid £560 for mine with 3 mags.
    I'd say the H&K USP for £550 is a great price by the way :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Babble wrote:
    Thats an Insane price for a Sig P226!! I paid £560 for mine with 3 mags.

New? Where?

EDIT:
    Just realised ure in Canada :p

Rew wrote:
    New? Where?

EDIT:
    Just realised ure in Canada :p
    Bingo!
    http://www.royalsportsman.com/html/home.htm

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Not sure what the story is with buying guns outside the EU but I can only imagine its a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You're into End User Certificate and similar territory, lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gorgeous guns, Babble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Just want to thank all you fellas for your advice and contributions to help me choose a pistol. For the record, I gave up on the 17L and have purchased a standard model 17.

Paperwork has been submitted and the desk sargeant couldn't have been any more helpful, he reckons I should have news back in 10 days or so. Cheers lads, hopefully I will bump into you on the circuit.

Loads of thanks from Chopperdog... :):D:)

Congratulations! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

civdef wrote:
    You're into End User Certificate and similar territory, lot of hassle.

Yes and no.There are US arms dealers who will do the paperwork for you but it is costly,and they will usually only do it on ten or more guns for it to be worthwhile to them. They will want your liscense, and import cert from the DOJ upfront,as well as a gun dealer registeration and paperwork.They WILL NOT ship to individuals.It takes appx 12 weeks for the State dept to issue the clearence cert.I suppose if we did a group buy this could drop the cost immensely to import some stuff?

As flattop said, its probably best in a group

This is what you would do on the us side have the US seller identify the exporter - the US government requires that this exporter be a Federal Firearms Licenced (FFL) gun dealer for most exports. In many cases the US seller is an FFL dealer. And it is possible that some would ship to an individual

the US exporter will attach their copy of the IIC to their application for an export licence. In the US, applications for shotguns are administered by the Department of Commerce and for all other firearms are administered by the Department of State.

The US controls on the export of firearms extends to parts also. For small orders worth less than US$100.00 per shipment the US Department of State allows an exemption from the export licence. This exemption, however, does not cover ‘significant’ parts which includes; barrels, slides, cylinders, bolts, frames and receivers. It should be noted that there is no equivalent exemption offered by the Department of Commerce for shotgun parts. Further, there is no exemption for ammunition or ammunition components.

To export from Canada (check the exchange rate it might be cheaper then the US) these are the details.
    In keeping with Canada’s multilateral agreements on the international movement of firearms, the Canadian exporter must obtain an Export Permit from International Trade Canada (ITCan). Blank applications are available by calling canada (613) 996-2387 or by faxing your request to (613) 996-9933. Completed applications must be accompanied by an import authorisation issued by the destination country. In cases where no import authorisation is required, a letter of explanation, issued by the destination country, must be provided. Allow 6-8 weeks for the application to be processed. For the Canadian exporters they are required to report the permanent export of firearms to the Canada Firearms Centre. It is recommended that copies of the Export Permit, foreign import authorisation and any waybill issued by the carrier be provided to the Canada Firearms Centre to support the exporters claim of permanent export. A photocopy of the foreign import authorisation should be included with the package when shipped.

UNITED STATES contacts

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
    Firearms & Explosives Imports Division
    ph. (202) 927-8320
    fx. (202) 927-2697
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/index.htm
    on-line import (Form 6NIA http://www.atf.gov/firearms/form6nia/ ) application for temporary importations only (hunting, competitive shooting, etc.)

ATF Guidebook Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammuntion & Implements of War

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/guidebook/FEIB-GB.pdf

Department of State
    Directorate of Defence Trade Controls
    PM/DDTC, SA-1, 12th Floor
    Bureau of Political Military AffairsU.S. Department of State
    Washington, DC 20522-0112
    ph. (202) 663-1282 (for general inquiries about and guidance on licensing and compliance matters)
    fx. (202) 261-8199
    DDTCResponseTeam@state.gov
    http://www.pmdtc.org/

Department of Commerce
    Bureau of Industry and Security
    14th St & Pennsylvania Ave. NW
    Washington DC 20230
    ph. (202) 482-4811
    http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Forms/FormsList.html

Canadian contacts

International Trade Canada
    Firearms Export and Import (EPE)
    125 Sussex Drive
    Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2
    ph. (613) 996-2387
    fx. (613) 996-9933
    http://www.itcan-cican.gc.ca/menu-en.asp

Canada Border Services Agency
    Automated Customs Information Services
    ph. (800) 461-9999 (from within Canada)
    ph.(204) 983-3500 / (506) 636-5064 (from outside Canada, long-distance charges apply)
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Canada Firearms Centre
    ph. (800) 731-4000 (from North America)
    http://www.cfc.gc.ca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Check the Springfield XD-9 from Croatia.
    Similar to Glock but not as pricey.

Sorry I'm late.

Advertisement