Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

litter training a cat

Options
  • 26-08-2005 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

has anyone any good advice for training a cat to use a litter tray. how should i go about it? does it take long for them to learn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Very simple really ...

Gently put the cat into the tray, take its two front paws and make scratching movements, moving a bit of the kitty-litter while doing so.

That'll make it pretty clear to the cat.

If necessary repeat this excercise when the cat is about to go (somwhere else) ... pick it up and put it into the tray ...possibly without frightening it, though.

Once the business has been done in the correct place, a little praise would be ok too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

what peasant said is all you have to do. I was a bit sceptical that a kitten would understand but they do - i showed my cat this when i got him and he used the tray from then on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah, just show them that it's a nice place to... deficate, lol. They naturally like to bury their business, so once they know that they can dig a hole in the litter bin better than your carpet, you should be set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thats pretty much it, you may want to keep the kitten and the litter tray closes by to help prevent accidents.

tk123, I like your sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 adharc

one of our cats goes into ythe shower when he cant get to the litter tray and piddles in the shower plug and tries to rake over after!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 coversmonkey

i shall try that so...thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

adharc wrote:
    one of our cats goes into ythe shower when he cant get to the litter tray and piddles in the shower plug and tries to rake over after!
    caught my cat doing this once (although in the bath, not the shower). Crafty bugger didn't spill a drop :) straight down the plug-hole it went.

Fairly smart creatures when it comes to this sort of stuff it seems. I've had a few cats and only ever had to point them in the direction of the litter for them to know what to do. Aside from the odd case of doors being closed I never had a problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

Try leave the litter tray in a room that doesnt have carpet (it can get messy!) like the kitchen if there's lino or tiles and have the cat sleep in there too.
    Our cat picked it up fairly fast, we just kept lifting her up when we thought she needed to go and putting her in it. If she jumped out we'd put her back in and within a week she would get in herself and do the business. Good luck!

Advertisement