Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Timer

Options
  • 26-08-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

I've bought a new machine, and put it together last night (while slightly drunk after a night out).

It went pop! S'ok, was just the neon tube inside - the box for it went pop. Everything else seems fine.

I was wondering if this might be too much of a load on the psu, and the transformer couldn't cope, or if it was too much power from the psu and it couldn't cope.

I'm running a truecontrol II 550w psu.

I have 2 SATA drives (fed off the psu dedicated sata power cables)
    I have 2 IDE DVD-RW drives running off a single power cable (2 ends)
    I have 4 antec fans - 2 running off "Fan only" connectors from the PSU, and 2 plugged into a spare power cable (2 ends)
    I have a PCI-Ex connector going into an MSI 7800 GTX card
    I have the 4 port ATX 12v connector in
    I have the 24 port ATX connector in.

As I ran out of power connectors, I put the tube (here) through one of the spare power connectors that was connecting direclty into a fan (not the "Fan only" ones). It lit up for a second then the connector box (between the tube and the power button) went pop and started smoking.

I have a spare, so i'm looking to try again but i'm worried if it will go pop again - either because it's a cheap crap one, or because I set it up wrong.

Any suggestions?

Also, someone was mentioning to me changing the CPU multiplier to work better with my memory. I don't know if it needs this.

I'm running an Athlon 64bit 4000+ san diego, with 4x 512 OCZ DDR400 2-2-2-5 RAM. Does this need tweaked or will it run fine?

And i've read reports that the MSI 7800 GTX that i've got can be safely OC'd to 477Mhz rather than the 430Mhz that it comes with - apparently it ships with OC'ing s/w to help n00bs like myself, and is fully covered for any burnouts. Does anyone have experience with this card and good performance settings for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The 7800GTX has the same memory as my 6800Ultra in my latop. The memory is rated at 1300Mhz so you can go nuts with that anyway..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

building a pc while drunk hmm must try placing the cpu in without breaking the pins should be fun lol nice gpu ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

your psu should be fine for handling that, it may have just net been installaded right as you did say it was after a nite out :D

could have been a faulty box also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I had a spare tube, so I put it in another PC to test it first - that worked fine. Put it in my current PC, and it's working perfect.

Must have just been a bad tube - cheap as feck, but does the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Yeah I had a spare tube, so I put it in another PC to test it first - that worked fine. Put it in my current PC, and it's working perfect.

Must have just been a bad tube - cheap as feck, but does the job :D

hehehe, at least u got it sorted in the end... no more drunk builds, hehehe :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement