Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weissbier - A fad?

• 26-08-2005 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

What say you?

I started drinking it about 5 years ago after my uncle-in-law (Bavarian) enthusiastically introduced me to it.
    I've had to stop lately because I'm trying to cut down on yeast and wheat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I personally just don't like it. I am not sure that it can be described as a fad though - AFIK it is the traditional method of brewing in some countries. So while it may be a new and trendy thing in Ireland it is centuries old and as normal as a pint of plain in others.
    MPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I like weissbier myself, and have drank it for about 6 years. however, like the OP I have to watch the amount of wheat I take in, so that limits me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

MrsA wrote:
    I personally just don't like it. I am not sure that it can be described as a fad though - AFIK it is the traditional method of brewing in some countries. So while it may be a new and trendy thing in Ireland it is centuries old and as normal as a pint of plain in others.
    MPA

I don't mean a global fad :)

I mean the sudden surgence in posers slurping it down instead of "Heinos".

My beers of choice would be Maiselweiss and Franziskaner (heffe), though Kristals are becoming more my line as I can have a nice pint without worrying too much about the tastey-looking cloud pixies.
    Erdinger I can stomach on a hot day, but would rather order a pint glass of Bulmers than Erdinger.

Dunkels I just can't take.

Gotta head over to Oktoberfest, been talking about going over with the uncle for years, would have free accomodation too, but can't afford it this year :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Kristals - are they a very sharp sort of beer - I have seen it on a beer menu somewhere but not sure what it was?
    MPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

From my understanding, they're pretty much weissbeir that's been filtered/'cleaned up' and has much less yeast in it.
    More like a lager or pils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I've never really liked Weissbier as much as other kinds of beers around. It's nice alright but I think some Weissbiers get by just on the fact that they're Weissbiers and not on quality. My personal favourite would be Franziskanner or any of the Kristalbiers (so shiny)

Personally I prefer some of the sweeter Trappist beers like Hoegarden and Grimbergen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If you're driniking Hefe (yeast in english) then it is cloudy and is supposed to have a large mushroom style head that comes well over the rim of the glass.
    Kristall is traditonally drunk with a slice or two of lemon in it and sometimes has dried rice thrown into the bottom to maintain a head on it.

I like it, we sold an awful lot of it in Germany although in the North it would be seen as something refreshing to drink on a hot day and not a staple as it would be in the South.
    A good tip is if it is too heavy for you to throw a splash of banana pulp(juice) into it, the flavours go surprisingly good together, although a bavarian would probably kill you for it.
    As to whether or not it is a fad, hopefully it will take its place in the ever expanding range of beers available to us as one of the oldest and the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

Kristals dont have the so much yeast in them, and I much prefer them to Weißbier. Not too keen on that at all. Much prefer pils myself. hmmmm... Bitburger :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've become quite fond of erdinger and have just moved on to the kristal version....find i like the sharper bite to it.

Is it a fad? Well it has defo become the possers drink of choice recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 exilio

I don't think it is a fad...just a case of people having more choice these days. Paulaner is my particular favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I have always been a big fan of Weissbeer and any pub that sells Erdinger I will buy it. To me its just a much more refreshing beer to drink. Im off to Munich tomorrow morning too so I will be in Bavarian heaven with all the different Weissbeers available to me. I have already done a bit of research and me and my mates are going on quite a few different brewery tours while over there. I honestly can not wait to sample all the different beers available. Ireland really has a very poor selection of beers to choose from.

Ill post up my beer of choice when I get back. Thank god for the Bavarians

Kingp35 wrote:
    I have always been a big fan of Weissbeer and any pub that sells Erdinger I will buy it. To me its just a much more refreshing beer to drink. Im off to Munich tomorrow morning too so I will be in Bavarian heaven with all the different Weissbeers available to me. I have already done a bit of research and me and my mates are going on quite a few different brewery tours while over there. I honestly can not wait to sample all the different beers available. Ireland really has a very poor selection of beers to choose from.

Ill post up my beer of choice when I get back. Thank god for the Bavarians

Go out to the Andechs brewery if you think yer hard enough ;)
    strongest beer in the world, scary stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Go out to the Andechs brewery if you think yer hard enough ;)
    strongest beer in the world, scary stuff.

Yeah I know I cant wait for that one, we have already booked our tour around it. It’s a monastry and the beer is brewed by monks. Why cant all monks be like that? Im really looking forward to trying their Weissbeer and especially their dunkel(dark) Weissbeer. I am ashamed to admit it but I have never tasted a dark Weissbeer before. Should be allot of fun.

Thanks for the tip anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

fullers make a wonder weissbeir by the name of discovery.

i heartily recommend drinking it by the very large glass full.

of course, it makes you very very drunk!

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah I know I cant wait for that one, we have already booked our tour around it. It’s a monastry and the beer is brewed by monks. Why cant all monks be like that? Im really looking forward to trying their Weissbeer and especially their dunkel(dark) Weissbeer. I am ashamed to admit it but I have never tasted a dark Weissbeer before. Should be allot of fun.

Thanks for the tip anyway

I used to drink Aventinus when I was in Germany now and again 9% dunkles hefe starkbier, I drank it a while back in Porterhouse for an Oktoberfest season, I dont remember getting home after 5 :eek:
    I had forgotten how potent the stuff is.

Oh yeah monks had sweet FA else to do except perfect brewing, seems religion was good for something after all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have none other than SyxPak to thank for getting me into Weissbiers. Ta very much. :)

Anyway, I don't see it as a fad, really. People have taken to it in a big way, and they're still drinking it here after quite some time, so they must enjoy it (would YOU spend an extra euro a pint for a vile drink just to appear posh?). I'm glad I see more pubs getting in Erdinger and Franziskaner and the like. My choices in watering hole were somewhat limited in the past if I wanted to drink some, but things are far better now. Long may it continue.

I love Weissbier. It generally has a sort of thick, sweet taste to it (does that make sense?), and is very crisp and smooth. I find it a wonderfully different flavour to the more common Heiniken, Budweiser, et al. Actually, scratch that, it just HAS flavour. I'm quite partial to Franziskaner and Paulaner in particular. I fell in love with Rothaus in Germany, and wish I could get some over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I've been drinking it on and off for years. About 4 or so.

My problem with it was that I liked it too much and happily worked my way through far too many on a night out, combined with the slightly higher alcohol content, meant I was getting drunker than I liked on a night out.

Lovely if you're out for one or two though. Much richer and flavoursome than the "regular" beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

There's a lovely Irish wheat beer by the name of Curim out there..
    It's not technically a Weissbier but it's a wheat beer... not particularly cloudy but I was pleasantly surprised it was so nice and easy to drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

steveland? wrote:
    There's a lovely Irish wheat beer by the name of Curim out there..
    It's not technically a Weissbier but it's a wheat beer... not particularly cloudy but I was pleasantly surprised it was so nice and easy to drink

The Franscian Well (a microbrewery/pub in Cork) do a nice take on weissbeir. I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Advertisement