Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices of tiles

Options
  • 26-08-2005 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

We're in the process of purchasing a new house in Newbridge and we were in the lookout for tiles for the kitchen and bathrooms. My sister was telling me that a few years ago she paid close to 60€ per square meter for her house. We went to a store (not 100% sure of the name), I think it is Tile Savers in Coolmine and they had a good selection of Spanish tiles. The dearest ones, being polished porcelain were 34€ per sq.m. Is there any catch or have the prices really gone down? What does polished porcelain mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€60 probably included fitting.

You can probably get tilers from €5/m2 to €50/m2 and a multiple of that if you go for marble, granite or other real stone tiles.

Polished means a flat smooth surface, almost mirror-like. Porcelain is the type of clay used in making the tiles, the same as is used for bathroom fittings.

Strongly consider letting your tiler buy the tiles are he can probably get a better price than you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Victor wrote:
    €60 probably included fitting.

You can probably get tilers from €5/m2 to €50/m2 and a multiple of that if you go for marble, granite or other real stone tiles.

Polished means a flat smooth surface, almost mirror-like. Porcelain is the type of clay used in making the tiles, the same as is used for bathroom fittings.

Strongly consider letting your tiler buy the tiles are he can probably get a better price than you can.

Thanks Victor.
    I've heard of a few stories when fitters from Poland or one of the Easte European Countries have fitted the tiles and even the flooring for the fraction of the price compared to the domestic ones. rwecently heard that a Polish guy did a fantastic job on a 4 bedroom house for 800 Euro!
    Any idea about the reputation of Right Price Tiles (beside Power City) in Coolmine.
    TIA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I bought all my tiles from right price tiles.
    Very good value, wait till they have their sale, the builder put em all down so i dont have a broken out price.
    I found them very good. the only thing was that I bought my kitchen floor tiles from them, the were only 15 Euro Msq or something in a sale, nearest best price i could get to it was in citywest at 22. However they seem to get dirty very easily if you drop a used tea bag you have to rub it stright away otherwise its a big scrubbing job. The bathroom and counter tiles are very good value. I'm not saying dont get your tiles there, just watch out for the porous ones. You cant treat them afterwards either, I checked with them, thay have a maintenance liquid , but its for other tile types

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Stoner wrote:
    I bought all my tiles from right price tiles.
    Very good value, wait till they have their sale, the builder put em all down so i dont have a broken out price.
    I found them very good. the only thing was that I bought my kitchen floor tiles from them, the were only 15 Euro Msq or something in a sale, nearest best price i could get to it was in citywest at 22. However they seem to get dirty very easily if you drop a used tea bag you have to rub it stright away otherwise its a big scrubbing job. The bathroom and counter tiles are very good value. I'm not saying dont get your tiles there, just watch out for the porous ones. You cant treat them afterwards either, I checked with them, thay have a maintenance liquid , but its for other tile types

Thanks. It seems that a consclusion can be drawn that the prices of tiles have gone down lately (possibly due to competition). The shop I was talking about, teh onmme near Power City (I think right price tiles) already has a 50% sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

regedit wrote:
    Thanks. It seems that a consclusion can be drawn that the prices of tiles have gone down lately (possibly due to competition). The shop I was talking about, teh onmme near Power City (I think right price tiles) already has a 50% sale!

Right Price tiles seems to have a sale on every second week... funny thing is, when I checked the price of the tiles I was looking at was the same after the sale as before. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,351 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stoner wrote:
    Most tile ranges are made by the same manufacturers, just like soap powders. The Tesco Biological isn't very different from the Dunnes Biological which isn't very differnt from the branded biological.

However make sure that the tile you get is suited to your needs, some tiles are designed for the rough wear and tear they will get in kitchens and bathrooms, others might not.

The mark up on tiles is about 300% on the manufacturers price, so don't be afraid to haggle (hence they can have a 50% off sale and stil make money).

Advertisement