Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil heating, how much oil to last a year?

Options
  • 25-08-2005 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Figuring that it would be better to buy oil for the heating now rather than later I went out and measured the tank today, it was at 600~ Litres, which is roughly half, its about a 1200 Litre capacity. Just wondering would that last the year? I vaguely remeber my parents ordering 900-1000 Litres but I could be way off the mark.

Its a standard Estate home with two extensions, so 5 bedroom, kitchen,sittingroom, garage, office, semi-detached. 11 rads alltogether in the house.

Heating wont need to be on much, just three of us living here since parents have moved away for 2 years.

I know its a pretty hard question to answer since you would really need to know exactly how big the house is, and how long it would be on, but any input would be handy.

Im pretty sure its Kerosene, but not positive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Depends on a lot of things really. Insulation in the house, end of terrace, mid terrace or semi-D. I'm a mid-terrace and I bought 250 euros of oil last October - used it for @ 2 hours a day (v. max) to heat the house and I still have half left.

Thing is - the neighbours heat my house too I guess - being a mid-terrace!

If your an end of terrace you'd be loosing more heat. Do you intend on leaving the radiators on in rooms not being used? Some people do that to avoid dampness. I only turn on rads in rooms I don't use @ 1 a week. If there are people in the house all day - then you'd probably need to turn it on more than 2 hours a day. I only need 1 hour before I get up and 1 hour before I come home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sharza, I'm in a similar house as yours...with 13 rads. I get 2 fills of 1000 litres each year...sometime in mid oct and sometime in mid feb. This hasn't changed in 4 yrs since I put an electronic thermostat in the house to control the on/off times of the heating.
    600litres now should probably take you up near xmas. Its a hard decision to make whether to fill it now or wait and get a full load when its gets empty with the prices rising all the time. It normally works out a little cheaper the more you order.

When you start to switch on the heating on a regular basis in the next month, take a reading on a stick every 2 weeks and that way you can very nearly gauge when the oil is due to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Sharza- wrote:
    Figuring that it would be better to buy oil for the heating now rather than later I went out and measured the tank today, it was at 600~ Litres, which is roughly half, its about a 1200 Litre capacity. Just wondering would that last the year? I vaguely remeber my parents ordering 900-1000 Litres but I could be way off the mark.

From memory, many oil compaies won't supply 600l, it's too small an amount for them to be arsed. 1000l would usually be the minimum.

My parents house, would be fairly similar to yours, they used 2 fills of 1000l most winters

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

Borzoi wrote:
    From memory, many oil compaies won't supply 600l, it's too small an amount for them to be arsed. 1000l would usually be the minimum.

My parents house, would be fairly similar to yours, they used 2 fills of 1000l most winters
    Just so you know your options, it is possible to order amounts as small as 500 litres. Emo oil have no problem delivering any amount from 500l up.
    For what its worth, my house is smaller that the one your talking about - i.e. its a 3bed semi, with 8 rads, however the heat would be on quite often as we have a small child at home. I reckon we'd go through 1500l a year.

Advertisement