Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it fair to leave a dog at home alone all day

Options
  • 25-08-2005 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a dog. However with where i live and commuting and stuff i would be leaving my house at 7.15 am and not getting home till 6.30ish. My question is this :Is it fair to leave a dog at home alone for this time?

What about if I got 2 small dogs to keep each other company??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't think it would be fair on the dog.
    Two dogs may or may not get on and keep each other company, but they will both still want their owner there.
    That's a long day for 1 or 2 or more dogs to be alone but many people work and have dogs, a puppy wouldn't be a good option perhaps and older (not old just older) dog would be a good option and if you have a neighbour or a dog walker in the area that could take the dog out at least once a day while you are at work?

If you could get someone to walk the dog during the day then it's worth thinking about and then you could take the dog off for a walk in the evening and on weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

it's definately not good to leave a dog alone all day. if you got two dogs it might be okay, but is there anyway you could let them have access to the outside? is there a neighbour who would spend a bit of time with them during the day?

think about why you want a dog. because by the sounds of it, you'll only be around for 4or 5 hours a day if you include sleep in the time the dogs will be alone. do you really think you would spend this little time walking and playing with the dogs, keeping in mind you'll be tired after work? would you have time to train them? if you had a kid, would you be happy spending this little amount of time with them? dogs are very demanding pets. maybe you should get a couple of cats instead? they're a little more independant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

It depends. Would the dog sleep in the house at night time, and be in with you from the time you got home to the time you went to bed? If so.. then maybe two dogs outside all day with each other for company wouldn't be such an issue. If you get up at 7 am, you'll probably be heading to bed around 12 am.. giving you at the most around 6 hours with your dogs. This definitely wouldn't be enough time for a puppy. For two older dogs who like being oustide it might be ok.

What wouldn't be ok is an hour spent with the dog when you come home, then turfing him back outside. But I doubt you'd be here asking if that's what you intended to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'd say a cat would be better
    but then again cats are users

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The simple answer to your question is ...

NO

no if's, but's or maybe's about it

It's one thing, if circumstances change all of a sudden when you already have a dog ..then arrangements have to be made for someone else to look after the dog while your gone. But if you know from the start that you're not going to be there all day ...what's the point in getting a dog ...they're not an ornament, they're a COMPANION.

Having two ornaments doesn't make it any better.

Be fair to the dog(s) ...wait until the circumstances are better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Lamia

I agree with Guineapigrescue...if circumstances allow, you could organise a neighbour or dogsitter for during the day until you come home, also you'd need plenty of things to keep the dog(s) entertained. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ParkerD

Well, i would not get a dog in that case.... try going for something a little smaller like a Rat or Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rats need to be in same sex pairs they love company if getting a cat a bonded pair would be better, cats do get lonley home alone too but a pair of rats would be a great option for you if you give them a large enough cage/enclosure and then you could have quality time with them in the evenings.

Smaller again a pair of same sex gerbils make great pets, great fun to watch and they have each other for company and again quality time with you in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

I have 2 cats and they do be outside the house all day when the family is at work. Obviously they dont like it but they do be grand when we get home. They arent kittens tho, they'd need a lot more care. Our neighbours had a dog that would howl all day if they went out, used to drive us mental. I felt sorry for him tho, he was obviously lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

It would probably me okay if the dog was treated very good when you are around..

But you say you will get back at 6:30ish but tbh, you not going to be spending the rest of the day with the dogs so in reality they're not going to have much time with you...

Probaly best not to get the dogs until your situation changes and you can spend more time with them, in your current situation the dogs will probably end up developing behavioral problems and will never bond with you

• Advertisement
Advertisement