Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know anything about horses???

Options
  • 25-08-2005 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭

i work in construction - the job on which im working at the moment has a field beside it with 2 horses in it, one large and one small - i recently ventured in to give them an apple and noticed that their tails and manes are all matted, also their hooves are very long and curled - the smaller horse spends most of its time lying down and there is half of the hooves one one of its back feet broken off (maybe thats why) all they have to eat is the grass that grows in the field, and have no water as far as i can see (although its a big field)............should i ring someone to report it and if so who?

i dont know if horses need shelter but these are in the elements all the time, they are very friendly and the larger one protects the smaller one when you enter the field

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

If their hooves are overgrown, they're in for all sorts of foot problems.
    Sounds like those horses are neglected, shelter should be provided, hooves should be trimmed regularly and the horses should be groomed regularly too.

Here is a list of horse welfare groups you can ring:

http://www.irishanimals.ie/equine/index.html

It's lovely to see someone cares about these horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Yes. Agree completely with Nala. Horses with curling hooves are in desperate need for care. It's a very serious issue, and one indicative of long term neglect. Good on you for caring and voicing your concern. Yes they need shelter of some sort. Get on the phone asap, your description sounds very worrying. If you want to PM me with details of where they are, I can come out and have a look. For certain, these horses need help soon. If you can, offer water in little bits (too much at once can cause problems).. say half a bucket.. let them take a few sips. Be careful though, if you're nervous you may just want to leave a small tupperware container of water over the gate. Good job mate.

ETA: If you have pics, post them or pm them to me... it may not be as bad as it sounds.. or it may be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do you know who owns them?. If they belong to travellers you may be open to abuse if you try to report them.

The over grown hooves are worrying. Exactly how much is the main and tail matted?, are we talking some tangles and thisles in it or what. A lot of people who keep horses out side will not groom as much as a stable kept horse as it removes a lot of the oil in their coats which they need to keep the rain out. Horses can live on grass no probs although they should have water. You typed that you havent explored the field so it could be there. Horses do need shelter but this can easily be in the form of trees or some hedges, what is the field like?. Generally horses will just their bums towards the rain adn continue with grazing, after all they didn`t evolve in the wild with access to stables!. If you feed them an apple/carrot make sure its cut so they don`t choke on it.

If you have pics could you post them or pm to me too?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

the person who lives next door owns them so they dont belong to travellers, they are just kept on another persons land, i can see the house who owns them from where i work.
    the field is big enough but im pretty sure there is no water,as long as ive been there there hasnt been anything added to a feeding box that hangs on the fencing - not sure if thats for water - but i put some in it anyway.
    the main and tails have a few dreadlocky matted things in them.
    there would be hedging dividing the fields.

il try get pictures and will pm them to both of you -thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

The dreadlocks wouldn't bother me, it's the hooves that are the real problem. And the fact that there is no water. How skinny are the horses? Can you see their ribs?

Good work on the pics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Crongrates on spotting theres a problem.The state nowdays that some hourses are being allowed to become is not right.

Ive seen alot of travellers hroses and they have been in the same condition.Fortunally things can be done if the horses are found ontime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

So they have shelter then. It sounds like the main problem is the state of the hooves and supply of water. Perhaps an anonymous note through the owners door?. If you choose to make contact with the owners be very careful not to get their backs up. It could be that they are very novicy owners and are not fit to own a horse. A lot of neglect is caused by ignorance which doesn`t excuse it.

Good luck in what you do and well done, a lot of people wouldn`t have done anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

To be honest, the best thing to do is just report them. If you give the owners any warning, they could very easily just move the horses somewhere else and the horses will continue to suffer. Hoof problems are serious-there are all sorts of nasty problems that can arise. As the saying goes, "No foot, no horse".

Advertisement