Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood cutting service

Options
  • 25-08-2005 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I need some plywood sheets cut to size for a dollshouse. I've tried woodworkers.ie in Terenure and they said they only do straight cuts, but I need angled cuts done (for the roof).
    Any suggestions?
    Caitriona

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Buy a jigsaw and do it yourself. A jigsaw can be had for about 20quid. It is an easy thing to use and you can do more fine cuts to get it just right. Nothing more satisifying that doing it yourself. Also this is a tool anyone can use, it isnt a hard thing to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

I actually have a jigsaw, and I'm happy enough to do the straightforward cutting myself, but there are some angles I just don't know how to do (or explain!) - for instance, a rectangular panel where one side is cut at an angle of 70 degrees (if that makes sense!). Is there an easy way to do things like that?
    (I know I'm jumping in at the deep end and should just redesign the dollshouse, but I love it the way it is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Surely all you have to do is mark out a line at 70 degrees to whichever side of the sheet it is, and just cut along it? All you need is some way of measuring the angle required, i.e. a protractor of some sort.

Or are you trying to cut a 70 degree bevel angle along the edge of the plywood? In which case most jigsaws have a means of tilting the blade relative to the metal base plate to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

The second one. I'll go home and have a closer look at the jogsaw tonight then. Thanks : )

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No problem. The only snag might be that they will sometimes only let you change the angle to +/- 45 degrees, or sometimes also +/- 60 degrees, rather than allowing you to select any angle you want. If it really has to be 70 degrees you might be better off finding someone with a circular saw. They are usually settable to any angle you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

where are you from? I may be able to do it for you if your from galway.!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mlekelly

Criterion a, woodcut in liosbaun have a good woodcutting service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A tablesaw with a tilting blade and crosscut fence is the safest and most accurate way. If you need a 70 degree bevel cut, tilt the saw to 20 degrees and the cut will be 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Hope the OP is sorted by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

lgk wrote: »
    Hope the OP is sorted by now!

:D This is the section for blind woodworkers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

People weren't paying attention.

How many fingers have you lads got left?

;)

Advertisement