Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbing a washing machine

Options
  • 25-08-2005 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Was plumbing a new washing machine I bought but the grey drainage pipe was 8 inches too short to reach the sink. Have tried B&Q, Atlantic homecare etc to no avail...they havent a clue the name of the "extension pipe" I need to fit the pipe. Anyone any clues on what it is called and where I could get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

you mean the grey waste water pipe will not reach white waste water pipe?

or are you trying to empty it into your sink?

have you had a washing machine in place before?
    if so you need to extend the existing pipe,
    which is just a plastic waste water pipe, 2inch i think.

you can get that pipe in any diy place, just need a join thing as well, some proper pipe glue and bobs your mothers brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Yes the grey drainage pipe....there was a machine there but we replaced it....problem is dishwasher nearer to sink so grey pipe in new machine not long enough...
    I actually bought a connecting pipe today but it is too big to fit on the plastic bit of the drain pipes under my sink.....so you reckon I could use pipe glue on this which I can get in atlantic homecare or sth?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

bohsboy wrote:
    Yes the grey drainage pipe....there was a machine there but we replaced it....problem is dishwasher nearer to sink so grey pipe in new machine not long enough...
    I actually bought a connecting pipe today but it is too big to fit on the plastic bit of the drain pipes under my sink.....so you reckon I could use pipe glue on this which I can get in atlantic homecare or sth?

Can you connect the washing machine to the diswashwer outlet with the pipes you bought.
    Basically try to make a double waste outlet from the dishwasher outlet.( if that makes sense to you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

the pipe needs to fit snugly before you can glue it. other wise it will leak.

the pipe out of the washing machine usually just sits into the drainage pipe. but if its not long enough then you can't do that.

so you are trying to extend the grey pipe itself.
    ya could try glueing the other pipe you got to it. but lets it dry well, read instructions etc, but usually 24hrs at least. then test well, you don't want to flood your house :)

the best plan would be to get the correct size pipe to connect under the sink. then run it across, with a slant towards the sink side, and up. so you are left with a vertical pipe behine the washing ,machine that the grey pipe can now reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Redneck_Rebel

Why don't you just extend the waste pipe, the gray pipe out of the machine is one of the flexy things, right? It would be easier to connect somthing to the waste pie and bring this to the machine. you could also t the waste pipe at the floor level and bring it across that way.

Make sure that the waste water doesn't have to flow up hill we all know how well that works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

To expand a little further on what Rednck said it may be just as easy to fit a new waste pipe exiting through the wall beside the washing machine, the faster you can get the waste water outside the house the better IMO.

Advertisement