Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Fuel bikes

Options
  • 25-08-2005 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

The rise of petrol over the past 2 years has got me thinking, is it possible to run a bike on an alternative fuel. I have seen some examples of Diesel bikes online, but is there a way of getting a bike to run on vegetable oil or something similar ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well, a 4 stroke diesel engine should happily run biodiesel and quite possibly SVO (straight vegetable oil, virgin rapeseed stuff costs about 65c a litre from a company in Wicklow-a mate runs 2 mercs on it). Similarly ethanol would probably be fine in a petrol motor but there's no way Diesel/biodiesel/SVO can work in a petrol motor-the compression ratios wouldn't heat the air up enough to cause combustion and that's just the main reason it can't work. Can't think of much else that would work with current technology. I'd love a diesel bike, imagine the torque, be great in a chopper/cruiser type bike.

Advertisement