Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I move abroad? Need some guidance.

Options
  • 25-08-2005 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm thinking of moving abroad and where I'm moving to I haven't a shred of the language outside hello thank you and goodbye so I ask this,

How does one move abroad? :)

I'll want to get a job and a place to live obviously so what's the best way to go about this on arrival really. I'd be pretty stuck not having a clue what to do on my first day ye know so anyone ever done this before?

If you could give me tips or info that'd be great thanks. :)

Ry

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Give us an idea of were you would like to go and we should be able to help more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Finland :)

Ry

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... any particular reason why?

It's not particularily difficult moving abroad (at least the logistics aren't, the psychological part can be), book a flight, find a place to live (hostel it until you find a place if you dont know anyone you can bunk with), find a job.

If you don't speak the language, it'll be tough. I guess you could get a job doing manual labour of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

I want to work abroad and learn languages basically. I just want to experience another place completely so that would be why. I've asked about learning Finnish on the language board and they've been helpful in pointing me towards sandford language school so I'm really thinking of going and doing a course first.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

get a job there first. get it before you go.
    makes life *much* easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The course in Sandford sounds like a good place to start - you'll learn most of the language when you arrive but a few basics will go a long way. I think most Finnish speak good English so if you combine that with a bit of their language most people will respond well.

Next as yossarin says, try get a job before you go - maybe while you're doing the course in Sandford you could also be seeking out potential employment on the web. The course should also put you in contact with other people who have links to Finland, chase any link you can.

Get a Finnish girlfriend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭javelin

Hey Ry.

not everyone in finland speaks english, so it's good if you know their language a bit before you go there.
    and also, I dont know exactly what it is like in finland, but here in Sweden it's really difficult finding a job, and I could imagine it is pretty much the same in finland. But i'm not sure of this, maybe you know better ;)
    but yes, it could be good to look for a job before you move.

well, hope you'll enjoy scandinavia ;)

/J

Advertisement