Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee

Options
  • 25-08-2005 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

So your views. Was Ray any use?

From what I saw he was quite good. When are they going to give him a proper show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He had The Den, didn't he? :)

I didn't watch it so I don't know how good he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Den

True, Bring back Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Being a native of Tralee and gone to greener pastures (not literally coz its always raining there) I missed The Rose Of Tralee. But more for the street entertainment and street drinking. I always thought the TV show was frightfully boring. Ray D'Arcy would be good for it though.
    Anyway I'm stuck with the Fringe in Edinburgh, not half as good :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

he wasn't the worst, wasnt half as sleezy as other presenters and he presented it when the first Mayo rose one, so all is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I find it embarressingly crap, I couldn't watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

For a minute by minute disection of the show (second night at least) see towards the end of Stungy's "I love Mobile Infantry" Thread. It was well and truly hijacked and turned into the official RoT thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

He held it together well, but overall he's not very professional and fundamentally he's as bland and dull as as a basin of dishwater. He's good on radio but I find him useless on television, whether it be You're a Star or this production, he is useless in coming across naturally. He cannot survive without an autocue and is as wooden as a two-by-four in delivering links in any programme he does.

Pat Kenny is wooden? Give me a break, he's a true professional.
    D'Arcy is the plank of RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

And as for the production values of the Rose of Tralee - the camerawork and vision mixing was unusually impressive for the various performances, but as always the vision mixing for the interviews was so so SLOW, as is always the case in RTÉ. I don't know of any RTÉ production that features snappy modern vision mixing - not one. It is ridiculous: the same old middle-aged women vision mixers dominate in Montrose and as a result have huge, but invisible, clout in dictating the visual style of interviews on RTÉ television.

Also the astons and graphics were not 14:9 safe!!!
    Are RTÉ ever going to get their finger out with aspect ratios?! I could not believe my eyes that even for this flagship production, the composed graphics were not aspect safe - with much of the text and images cut off at the ends - particularly the rose graphic to the left of the astons.
    It really beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Have to agree that Ray Darcy gives a wooden performance. However, he was way better on the RofT than on "Your a Spa". He seems to get a little better by degrees. When he ued to present Blackboard Jungle he used to sputter through the questions and would always have to repeat them because he mispronounced a word. I think I prefer an older person in the role of presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Enii wrote:
    I think I prefer an older person in the role of presenter.

I'd have to disagree with that. Even though an older presenter might be better at the actual presenting, I just found it "creepy" when Marty Whelan or Derek Davis were presenting it. I felt sorry for the lovely girls with their lovely bottoms when they did it. Gaybo on the other hand didnt strike me as creepy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

He doesn't have the charisma of Gay Byrne or Mike Murphy, but at least he wasn't a slimeball like Tubrity, creepy like Whelan or sweaty like Davis. At least they didn't have Derek Mooney, Gerry Ryan or Ian Dempsey doing it.

On another note, the Roses were generally a lot better looking than normal this year.

Advertisement