Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retrofitting UF heating

Options
  • 25-08-2005 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I know about Devi's system

But I saw a chaser advertised in Aldi and was wondering if it could be used to make channels for pipes for UF heating? Does anybody think it would work.

Halfbaked idea but comments welcome?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fully baked narommy I think!!! :)

Underfloor heating is either laid on flat insulation or on channelled insulation designed especially for UFH. There is no point on laying the UFH on concrete as the heat would escape out the floor.

BUT if there is someone willing to pay money to get channels taken out well who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think it's a halfbaked idea, especially with that chaser from Aldi. As mentioned, special boards with the channels are laid first, then your pipe is laid in to that and brought back to the manifold. Not to mention teh boiler you need. Taking the cheap option won't really work out that much cheaper and probably wouldn't be very efficient. I've just finiched a job wiring the panels for the polytherm manifolds in a big four bed house. Their system was costing €40,000

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

€40k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At some stage i'm planning on building a much bigger house and I got some quotes and UF heating wasn't comming in at anything near that

It is a newish house and would have insulation under the concrete. But would probably cut through the reinforcing steel and that wouldn't be good.

Would probably be easier to just dig it up and do it properly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

why don't u just lay another layer of 25mm insulation then the pipes on top of that or would that effect the final floor level too much?

Advertisement