Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restriction not on form..

Options
  • 24-08-2005 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

So I just got my vehicle Registration Cert in the post today.
    Opened it up to have a look at it has very minimal info.

The bike is restricted, but under the "Restrictions" heading, it doesnt say anything.
    The form doesn't state the p/w ratio nor the bhp of the bike.

It does have a registration code, or something like that. I presume this code has all the proper info, and they just didn't print most of the stuff out on the cert.
    The model of the bike isn't even on it, just the make (Honda).

Anyone know anything about this?
    The bike is definately restricted. It's a 03, perfect condition, and only does 70mph.
    Also I looked in the bike and the restriction is in place.

It doesn't say that the bike is restricted, but it also doesn't say it isn't restricted on the form. Should I just send a copy off to the insurance company along with the proposal form and hope for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What kind of bike? Is it a factory or after-market restriction?
    I don't think they bother filling in half of the details on the vehicle cert form, for bikes..

If it's an after-market restrictor, you sdhould have received a restriction certificate from the the bike shop who installed it, or from the punter you bought the bike from. If this is the case, I'd try and get my hands on it. I never got asked for one when my bikes were restricted (2 of 'em) but it's no harm having it just in case..

• Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For registration purposes it makes no difference whether your bike is restricted or not. If it's factory restricted then it might be possible to figure it out from the model code, but really the authorities are only interested in the CC (for VRT and road tax purposes). Pointless recording a removable restriction on an official database, anyway. As for certs from garages or whatever, legally they're meaningless and you can't be asked to produce one. The gardai would have to dyno your bike to prove what power it is making. So basically the restriction law works on the honour system (just like provisional car licences...) - or rather doesn't work.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Looks like group 7 insurance for you :eek:

Dont think any Irish insurers take restrictions into consideration because they can be removed so easily, especially if its a UK spec bike as the restrictor is in the Jap CDI's, but the only thing restricting the UK spec NSR's is a plate at the carb, a weld on the exhaust and sometimes a missing tooth on the front sprocket, all which are easily removed/fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh you're probably right, just send it off, once they see it's a 2002 onwards bike with a cert. they're shouldn't be any trouble getting group 2? At least it was advertised as group 2 at the last bike show I was at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

JohnCleary wrote:
    Looks like group 7 insurance for you :eek:

Dont think any Irish insurers take restrictions into consideration because they can be removed so easily, especially if its a UK spec bike as the restrictor is in the Jap CDI's, but the only thing restricting the UK spec NSR's is a plate at the carb, a weld on the exhaust and sometimes a missing tooth on the front sprocket, all which are easily removed/fixed

Bitter cos I didn't buy your bike? :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

dawballz wrote:
    Bitter cos I didn't buy your bike? :D:D:D

Not really, I got my asking price for it :)
    .... No messing about, yer man (bike mechanic at that) saw it and just threw the money at me... :)

Advertisement