Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scooters on M-Way

Options
  • 24-08-2005 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Thinking strongly about getting a smaller or classic car and a 'super-scooter' (though probably no bigger than a 250cc). Everyday on the M50 as I sit in traffic I see guys flying up on them.

When in use it would have to do about 50 miles a day, 4-5 days a week depending on weather, all M-Way. Does anybody have any experience of this type of machine, does anyone commute on one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, I haven't ridden a scooter, but with normal bikes, if you're doing 50 motorway miles per day, anything else than 250cc won't really cut it for all that long. You want a machine that can do 130kph without screaming in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I've not ridden scooters, but I knew a guy who used a Burgman 400 for a 25 mile a day roundtrip, mostly dual carriageway. One thing to note about any PTW for motorway use or higher than urban speeds is that you will have a more comfortable journey if the bike has some fairings / weather protection. Any bike/scoot with fairings will also cost more than naked or minimal faired bikes.
    As Seamus said a bigger engine is going to have less problems at typical motorways speeds than a 2 stroke 50cc scoot :o Which means less time in the workshop and more on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

I've done some M way driving on a 100cc scooter. Will only do it now if I'm stuck. Cars don't give you enough room when they pass. Lorries & trucks are ok they know how much space to give. Windy days are a night mare you get thrown around and buffeted a lot. With a heavier bike and some more experience it should be better. You need to be fairly confident in your handling of the bike before you start travelling at speed in a dog eat dog atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Had a bike before (10 years ago now in England), but I'm not pretending to be confident. A 250cc was what I was thinking in conjunction with a car for more 'wintery' days. More looking for advice on what can be bought in Ireland for a reasonable price....

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Try www.irishbikerforum.com
    There's enough bike heads there to give you some good leads

• Advertisement
Advertisement