Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: The Engines & The Victims {SPOILERS for UK viewers}

Options
  • 24-08-2005 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

The Engines:

Something I haven't seen discussed or heard an explanation for is how were the engines still working on the island?

An aeroplane crashes, the engines get disconnected from the wings and their fuel source, yet somehow don't get destroyed and keep working. Very mysterious.

The Victims:

It's occurred to me that the island has claimed at least two of it's own victims - the guy who gets sucked into the engine and the woman who drowns swimming in the sea. Could there be any significance to these two deaths?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

What about the guy in last nights episode...every bone in his body broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

What about the guy in last nights episode...every bone in his body broken?
    Good point - was he Ethan's victim or the islands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I suppose were led to think it's ethan's victim, But the manner of the guy's injurys is very wierd.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

I don't think the island killed yer man last night at all. Ethan said he was going to kill one of them, and he did. If the island killed him it would have appeared to be a natural death, I'd say. I don't see how waves or even crashing up against the rocks would break all of those bones.

The engines or the spinny things were still going round when they landed, yes, but I don't think that's impossible. After falling from that height and just straight after crashing I think it would be really weird if they just stopped turning immediately. I don't think there's anything suspicious about that death.

The woman drowning - I don't really remember that actually. I wonder about that, but I'd say there would have been more talk about it if it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Fridge wrote:
    I think it would be really weird if they just stopped turning immediately.
    But you could hear them speeding up and slowing down, how is that possible if there's no power source?

Could something else have been powering them?

Which reminds me, were the lights in the French woman's hut powered by the batteries or were they powered by the unknown power source on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

OFDM wrote:
    But you could hear them speeding up and slowing down, how is that possible if there's no power source?

Could something else have been powering them?

Which reminds me, were the lights in the French woman's hut powered by the batteries or were they powered by the unknown power source on the island?

The French woman could well have power. But the engines were hardly hooked up to anything. They were probably speeding up and down because they just crashed. They were ****ed, there was probably stuff stuck in them and the wind would be a big factor I'd say. I must ask some one who knows more about engines, but I really doubt there was anything abnormal for a plane crash to be going on there. Otherwise the others would have questioned it - given that it was happening right in front of their eyes and a guyg got sucked into it. Sayid especially would have noticed if it was weird. Engines can still go after a the plane crashes though, I'm sure. I don't think they crashed because the engine failed - they were probably still going when they hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chittle

The French woman's power source could have been that seemingly forgotten line that led out to the sea. Wasn't Sayid following it into the jungle when he got trapped by her?

I'm guessing the island has some healing/life-restoring capabilities (all the survivors [particularly Locke] and Charlie), but it seems selective when it's used (it didnt save Ethan, the guy he killed [Scott?], the agent or the pilot).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I suppose were led to think it's ethan's victim, But the manner of the guy's injurys is very wierd.

As well as the fact that they decided he must have come in from the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Playing devil's advocate, I don't think we were told whether the injuries were pre- or post-mortem. It's just possible that Ethan smashed the guy up after he killed him, knowing full well how demoralising a broken body can be.

But on the other hand... we don't know how exactly Ethan is connected to the island, so it's equally possible that "the Island" killed the guy for the same reasons Ethan did whatever the hell he was doing.

About the turbines... I'm not sure, but is wasn't the engine still mounted on part of the wing? If so, then assuming Jack reaches the debris fairly soon after it all happens, there might be enough fuel getting to it to keep it sputtering for a while. I'm not sure how much electronic control would be needed to keep the engine running, but it'd make sense to me that an engine would be built to run as independently as possible from the rest of the plane in case of some sort of malfunction. I'm in a nerdy mood today, so I'm gonna go ask some aviation folks whether I'm talking rubbish or not... :D

Advertisement