Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray painting the fence

Options
  • 23-08-2005 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭

Have about thirty 6x6 fence panels to bring back to life – they are only about three years old, doesn’t look too bad, but I hate how gray they look.

Any tips on how to go on about this. Considering buying/renting a good sprayer to get some Ronseal (any other brands) wood preservative – do you think its better to buy a cheapo than renting out a good HPLV sprayer?

Another small snag is that the with the way the horizontal wooden panels on the fence are arranged, if the paint/stain accidentally drips, it would be on to the other side of the fence and the neighbors (six houses!!) wouldn’t be too happy. Any thoughts!?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

positron wrote:
    Have about thirty 6x6 fence panels to bring back to life – they are only about three years old, doesn’t look too bad, but I hate how gray they look.

Any tips on how to go on about this. Considering buying/renting a good sprayer to get some Ronseal (any other brands) wood preservative – do you think its better to buy a cheapo than renting out a good HPLV sprayer?

Another small snag is that the with the way the horizontal wooden panels on the fence are arranged, if the paint/stain accidentally drips, it would be on to the other side of the fence and the neighbors (six houses!!) wouldn’t be too happy. Any thoughts!?

Thanks in advance! :)
    Argos sold a cheapo sprayer before...not sure if they do one now since they just opened their winter catalog. Used one but the stuff will go through the other side...you cant stop it unless you completely block off the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Obviously, I have never done this before - but I can imagine neighbors wouldn't be too happy to see their side of the fence ruined! How does other do this? Even with a brush there is no way to guarantee that it won’t drip and ruin the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

One idea is to use the same colour as the neighbours (assuming they paint theirs) If they don't then that will encourage them to do so..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

beldin wrote:
    One idea is to use the same colour as the neighbours (assuming they paint theirs) If they don't then that will encourage them to do so..

(Un)Lucky we have a relatively large garden and there are at least 6 neighbours (not sure, could be more) who we share the boundary with! Not sure if I will be able to call into each of them and explain/convince them about the benefits of painting the fence! I guess I just will have to leave it manky looking then!? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Speaking from experience, and depending on the style of fence, even painting it with a brush will result in some dripping through to the neighbours' side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dripping is the least of your worries....spray particles can travel huge distances and it will penetrate holes in the fence and if their walls are near the back of the fence, you will overspray on them.

Don't forget to get any cars well clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Six inch stock brush and a roller,why not try either of these instead.You will probably be surprised at how fast you go once you have started.

Advertisement