Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Melbourne!!

Options
  • 23-08-2005 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

My DH and I are moving to Melbourne at the end of September. He is being seconded there for 2 years by his company and they are organising all the visa details and looking after our accom and all other details for us when we get there.
    We have never been and would just love some honest feedback from anyone who has visited there or even better who has lived there.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards
    Mrs A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭comad

its arty and very cultural. (coffee shops, bookstores)
    it gets very very cold, wet and windy in the winter.
    its the best city in the world for sports.
    Its got no beaches to talk about.
    you can fly to Sydney in 1.30hrs.
    Main transport is the trams which are slow.
    Some people love it, some hate it. If you hate it, you're in trouble cos you'll really hate it, if you love it, you'll be in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

MrsA - Melbourne is a world class city. It is my favourite city in Australia. Being a cultured Dubliner there is no shortage of culture here.

It is the culinary capital of Australia with so many good restaurants and bars to suit everyone. There are plenty of little pockets of 'cool' such as the 'Lygon Street' area, South Yarra, Toorak, Richmond, Fitzroy and many other areas teeming with funky stores and groovy bars.

Melbournians are friendly and willing to give you a fair go. The city itself is relaxed and remarkably low in crime. I can walk around the city centre at 10 o'clock in the evening with my wife, 4 year old daughter and 7 month old and feel safe.

I don't know why people whine about the winters - compared to Ireland they are so mild. When it comes to summers they can hit the 40 degree mark occasionally. OK so we don't have surf like Sydney does but make up for it in coolness factor!

Also home to best footy teams too!!

:cool:

Advertisement