Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite leaking

Options
  • 23-08-2005 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi all

have a bit of a problem with our new house. In the living room there are two wet patches one that is the size and look of a rugby ball and the other a perfect round patch just a little bit bigger than a golf ball but the middle is dry lools like a ring inside a ring wet patch

If you measure the wet patches from the wall then the round one would be right under the shower plug. in the Ensuite.

The Ensuite was tiled about 2 months ago floor and walls.

Any ideas as I dont want to rip the floor up

Garyh3

Will test tonight using the shower just down the plug without touching the walls to see if the wet patch appears.

If it is the pipe under the shower am I protected by the builder as the house is new and we have been in for 2 months? Who would pay for the re tiling?

thanks

Garyh3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

It might be wise to get in touch with Homebond before contacting your builder and get their advise. I had a similar problem with constant leaking and wet patches all around the house, the builders kept trying to give me the run around. I contacted homebond and they were very helpful, they sent me a letter outlining the builders obligations under the scheme and told me to send a copy of their letter on to the builders with a letter of my own.

Chances are they'll try to blame the tiler or say they can't do anything becuase it has been tiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

The builder is still on site. The only problem is ive had the plumber in before and he a bit of a cowboy... has no respect for the house... and is always looking for money ???... He usually dosent do anything himself but sends round his little helpers to do the work.....

Yesterday I put caulk around the bottom of the shower just to be on the safe side and then ran the shower with no wet patch. Im thinking now that I have to be standing in the shower (maybe movement) that opens up with a bit of weight....

will try to night, however what would cause the patches to be a perfect circle ?

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Ok

Did lots of testing with the water in different areas of the shown.

Looks like the the Hot and Cold control had a big hole behind it and the metal collar was loose. closed it all up and hey no more water in teh living room...

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

garyh3 wrote:
    Ok

Did lots of testing with the water in different areas of the shown.

Looks like the the Hot and Cold control had a big hole behind it and the metal collar was loose. closed it all up and hey no more water in teh living room...

regards

Garyh3
    great news....these can be a pain

I had a wet patch in my ceiling a few weeks back caused by a leaking tap under the sink...drip drip drip, eventually builds up to a large wet patch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I think everybody who has bought a house in the last while has a similar story about water leaking. In my first house the extraction fan wasn't hooked properly and condensation was leaking back into the en suite roof. On my second house it was the bad sealing job around the shower tray. I reckon i'd be lost without the old silicone gun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 harto

If the damp stains are visibly showing on the ceiling then you can get a product called Stain Bloc or Block by PolyCell, from most of the DIY suppliers. This works a treat on covering the stain and stopping it from showing through again. If your ceiling is white, then you won't have to even paint over it. If you just paint over a damp stain it will nearly always become visible again through the paintwork at some point.

All the best,
    AndyH
    http:www.helpmebuildandrenovate.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

If the damp stains are visibly showing on the ceiling then you can get a product called Stain Bloc or Block by PolyCell, from most of the DIY suppliers. This works a treat on covering the stain and stopping it from showing through again.
    A liberal coat of regular white undercoat followed by emulsion will do the same job

Advertisement