Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Corrections

Options
  • 22-08-2005 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

What a book. Jonathan Franzen is some genius. If anyone has read it please voice your opinions. Who was your faourite character? Gotta give it to Chip. Alfred in second, then Gary, then Denise, then Enid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Meh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I haven't read The Corrections but I've read Strong Motion and am reading The Twenty-Seventh city. I have to say from what I've read of him so far i wouldn't be a fan. I find his characters cold and I find it hard to care about them. Also neither of these books are particularly page-turning. He tends to go off on tangents that last for pages and that aren't really relevant.

But then The Corrections is meant to be his best so maybe I'm being unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

The Corrections is infinitely better than both Strong Motion and The Twenty-Seventh city, which are both somewhat anodyne in comparison. It's too long ago since I read the Corrections for me to discuss it in detail but I still consider it one of the best books I have ever read. I liked his language, dry humour and the fact that I could relate to the book like very few others. He has also released a collections of the essays he wrote in Harpers and others, it's call 'How to be Alone' and is well worth reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Cured_Alright

I was thinking of buyin "How To Be Alone" and with that comment I will. I might even give "Twenty-Seventh City" and "Strong Motion" a go as well, just based on the brilliance of Corrections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

27th city really annoyed me and i found it very boring in parts, the corrections was good, but not excellent by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Cured_Alright

There was one pretty annoyingly boring part in Corrections too, the part at that weird science conference thing, talkin bout all that crap I didn't understand at all. So I suspect there might be some boring parts alright in 27th and Strong Motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

So I suspect there might be some boring parts alright in 27th and Strong Motion.

Believe me, there is.

Advertisement