Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fleadh, letterkenny

Options
  • 22-08-2005 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

anyone coming for the fleadh, 250,000 expected, all i can say is that it has to be a disaster, there seems to be no planning what so ever, other than closing the main street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The last I heard was about 160,000 and as for the planning????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Cathy

I'm just wondering where they're all going to stay...
    I heard they're expecting at least 250,000, too.

There probably won't be that many until the weekend, though.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There's a few streets closed. Sort of! :)

Traffic Flow:

A number of changes will be made to the traffic flow in the town:

1- Port Bridge Roundabout: Taffic will not be permitted to travel inwards towards Station Roundabout on the Port Road from the Port Bridge Roundabout- Gardai will divert traffic left & right (to Neil T Blaney Rd and Mount Errigal Hotel/Ramelton & Milford)

2- Station Roundabout: No traffic permitted up Ramelton Road (towards An Grianan Theatre). No entry into Pearse Road- exit only

3- Oatfield Roundabout: Traffic only to Letterkenny Shopping Centre & outwards Port Road/Derry Road. Note: Extra emergency lane to be provided from Oatfield Roundabout to Station Roundabout for Fire/Ambulance/Gardai use only

4- High Road/Kilmacrennan Road: One way traffic towards hospital roundabout only- No access permitted to this road from Hospital Roundabout towards Town Centre- for emergency service use only.

Taken from www.fleadh2005.com

Out of curiousity, what is the approximate population of Letterkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

15,000 - 20,000 approx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Anyone know where's open for camping (tent)???

I know O'Donnell Park's being used but it's a bit out and it'll fill in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Can't wait to get up to the Fleadh and play a few sessions! Over the summer I've met musicians from all over the country and they're all heading up there, so it should be savage! Hopefully the town will be able to take it though, and it won't be too packed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

it has to be a disaster, there seems to be no planning what so ever, other than closing the main street.

.....do you guys realise that Letterkenny's main street is three quarters of a mile long!! One of the longest main streets in somewhere (I remember some fact we were given in primary school!, interesting at the time!). If it's well enough distributed it should be grand! Better well packed than too spread apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

there's a camping place down near the cinema - on the soccer pitch. weather isn't looking good for it so far - might clear up. go on the fiddlers!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

So, as the Fleadh reaches its final hours, what did everyone (anyone) think of it?

I was down at it yesterday, which was a grand day for it weatherwise. Although trad music isn't my cupán tae, I thought there was a good buzz about the town, and had a bit of craic.

Unwittingly, I was walking past The Cavern and thought somebody smashed a window when I seen a guy taking out the glass, then I realised he was just allowing for a street bar! :)

The only thing(s) that annoyed me was those annoying whistle things that you seem to stick in yer mouth. Whistles everywhere!

On the laughable side, it was the massive amount of Gardai on the streets, seeminly oblivious to the vast amount of conterfeit DVD's etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I arrived on Thurs night, and bailed out on Saturday at 4pm - before things got messy (by the lines of traffic coming in, I'd say things got a bit much).

Caught some nice tunes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Was at it saturday evening and all day sunday. Had a very good time, was with some people big into their trad music so it made it a bit more enjoyable.

Thought Mono bar was about the best craic of the whole lot. Although I managed drinkies in the cottage, mcclaffertys, the cavern, wolftone, josies, central and the grill :)

Advertisement