Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of extending?

Options
  • 21-08-2005 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Reading through the other posts, I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, but it is called Accommodation/Property, so...

Is there a building industry standard "price per sq metre" for building a house extension? I appreciate that each extension would have it's own particular quirks that might affect overall cost, but I'm looking for a baseline here. Also, is an upstairs extension (say above a garage) cheaper than a ground floor one? (No foundations etc)

If anyone has been through this and is willing to share their experience, I'd be grateful. References to alternate information source also welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The DIY section tends to be better for this stuff than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

As a rough guide, if you allow in the region of €1000 per sq.m. it should cover you.

Generally garage walls tend to have thinner construction and therefore less of a foundation, so it may not be holding up an additional story (and roof) over it.

Might be worth getting an engineer or an architect to look at it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I don't build extensions anymore, last one was over twenty years ago however I try to keep up with the prices.

From what I am reading lately you can expect from €1,700.00 > €2,500.00 per sq metre for extensions.

I agree with fdevine, a survey by a good Architect or Engineer would be money well spent, also it would be a good idea to double check your status regarding Planning Permission because it appears that you will be changing the front elevation of the house.

Advertisement