Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing scratches/dents on wooden floors

Options
  • 20-08-2005 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any product available for disguising small scratches & dents on wooden floors? If so, are they available for the various wood finishes and wood types so they do as good a match as possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

I know Junkers do a very good oil product for the different finishes, I would expect that all oak or maple is the same so it may be worth a try.

You could try Brooks or Noyeks for a small tin to try it before buying any large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Lex,

I know Junkers do a very good oil product for the different finishes, I would expect that all oak or maple is the same so it may be worth a try.

You could try Brooks or Noyeks for a small tin to try it before buying any large amount.

Cheers Pete, I'm not exactly sure what the actual finish is...what are the varios finishes available?

I've heard they can be either lacquered or another type.

The scratches are thin, but one is about 8" long and one dent is bad enough. Both in plain view as you walk in the front door, so they hit me every day..

Hi Lex,

The floors I have are "Oak Variation" any scratches are taken care of by the oil which would be similar to Teak oil.

The dent may be a bit more difficult, I remember an old carpenter using a very wet cloth and an iron (clothes iron) to repair a dent in a hardwood door.

I can't remember the way he went about it exactly I think he allowed the water to soak into the damaged area over a period of time and then used the hot iron over the wet cloth.

I would think Junckers have a colour match for each finish they produce and their variety should be about the same as the other suppliers.

Kadman may have a better solution for the dent or explain the miracle I saw performed so long ago ;)

Pete, mine aren't Junckers, but solid wood. Maybe I should contact the supplier (Heiton Buckleys off Naas Rd) and ask them for more information.

Hi Lex,

Basically the same products just one is a "Solid" in smaller strips bonded together, that is why I think the oil will work on any timber surface.

• Advertisement

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Lex,

Basically the same products just one is a "Solid" in smaller strips bonded together, that is why I think the oil will work on any timber surface.

Pete, I'll call in some time in the next few days. The boards are all 5" planks, similar to the junckers, but are nailed down rather than clipped together.

Advertisement