Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banning dogs from fingal beaches

Options
  • 20-08-2005 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Check out fingal county councils plan to ban dogs at most times of the day.

I dont have a dog, have never experienced a problem with dogs or thier owners on the beaches.

Who is this mythic beach user they are appeasing???

also they want to ban all sports training and many other radical nanny stuff.

you dont have long to write in against these proposals. :mad:

see
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

They did the same down at killiney beach sometime ago, but I don't think it's been enforced. I can understand that people get peeved when there is dog **** on the beach ( or anywhere for that matter) but penalising everyone with a dog is surely not fair...there should just be more litter wardens around to catch owners who are not cleaning up after their dogs and fine them, then this may act as a deterant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

banning dogs on beaches is going to be implemented on most beaches around the country relatively quickly.

its not just to do with the nasty nature of finding sand covered dog poop lurking in the dunes, its to minimise disease being spread. long story, but theres a few parasites that live in dogs that can be passed to people via the poo, and because beaches are such heavily targeted recreational areas for families with kids, dogs have to be banned...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

So what's auld Charlie H. going to with his horses? He trains them down on Portmarnock beach at 6am every morning.

Maybe he could sell them to Albert Reynold's pet food factory?

Fingal CC, honestly, they might as well just hang up a swastika outside their offices and have done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

g'em, I don't see any pandemic of toxocara canis so far!

If people were fined who let their dogs soil beaches - and the fines are something like €1,000 - it just wouldn't happen.

If these bans are imposed around the country, the councillors will swiftly be booted out of office at the next election. Dog owners may not be as loud as neurotic germ-hunters, but there are more of them, and they'll quietly use their votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

luckat wrote:
    g'em, I don't see any pandemic of toxocara canis so far!

Of course not, and neither will you due to the nature of the parasite. Every year there are on anverage 3-4 reported case of blindness in children due to T. canis, and the actual number of cases is thought to be even higher, its just so hard to diagnose OLM. We're not entirely sure what the optimal mode of transmission is for the parasite, but so far the most popular school o fhtought is that its soil transmitted. It has been found on beaches before and obviously beaches are a popular place for kides to play.

No of course we're not going to have a nation full of toxocara-ridden kiddlings running around, but surely even one case of preventable blindness is even to concerned about. No matter how large the fine is, people will still let their dogs poop. Personally I think dedicated dog walking areas in parks/ on beaches are the way to go so that parents can decide not to take kids there.

Just my thoughts!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

luckat wrote:
    If these bans are imposed around the country, the councillors will swiftly be booted out of office at the next election. Dog owners may not be as loud as neurotic germ-hunters, but there are more of them, and they'll quietly use their votes.
    Sounds a bit like the pre-smoking-ban predictions from the smoking lobby of madness & mayhem at the subsequent election - didn't quite happen that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It's a classic case of cart before the horse from our inept leaders, they are told "there's a problem with dogs pooing on beachs", they hear"there's a problem with dogs pooing on beaches" when what they really should be dealing with is "there's a problem with dogs pooing on beaches"!

Of course the easy solution is to ban everyone, at least that diverts the problem elsewhere. Why not attempt to deal with the root cause of the problem and have wardens (undercover if neccessary) to enforce those nice fines?(obviously too much hassle, organisation, money, effort etc..). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Bluehair wrote:
    It's a classic case of cart before the horse from our inept leaders, they are told "there's a problem with dogs pooing on beachs", they hear"there's a problem with dogs pooing on beaches" when what they really should be dealing with is "there's a problem with dogs pooing on beaches"!

Of course the easy solution is to ban everyone, at least that diverts the problem elsewhere. Why not attempt to deal with the root cause of the problem and have wardens (undercover if neccessary) to enforce those nice fines?(obviously too much hassle, organisation, money, effort etc..). :mad:

You ever been on a beach with 2 kids under the age of 4 with dogs roaming about everywhere and noone looking after them? banning dogs from beaches should have been implemented years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Designated dog areas would be the ideal solution.

you could easily keep kids out of there and it would be far easier to police as well ...easier than watching out for pooing dogs anyway.

cost to societey? one sign at either end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Thats the thing - down my beach all the dogs that live in the houses along the beach wander freely and **** everywhere - whereas I walk mine on leads and pick up after them

There isn't anywhere else to walk them where I live - there are no footpaths to walk safely on and most of the fields are farmed.

I find it unfair - the owners of roaming dogs will still let them roam and people like me will be penalised

So unfair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

In the first place dogs should not be allowed to roam free under any circumstances. I have dogs myself, always have them under control and always clean up after them. The idea of banning them from beaches is beyond belief. It seems to me that the Irish solution to every thing is either tax it to death, or if you can't be bothered policing it, :mad: ban it. I remember some years ago people used to laugh at the Swiss with all their rules and regulations, Switzerland now looks like a holiday destination!

THIS MADNESS HAS TO STOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

legend99 wrote:
    You ever been on a beach with 2 kids under the age of 4 with dogs roaming about everywhere and noone looking after them? banning dogs from beaches should have been implemented years ago.

why??? cause they upset you and your 2 children???? surely if the dogs are roaming free on the beach with no one looking after them they could follow you up to the footpath too!

the question of dogs roaming freely imo is a different question to that of whether or not dogs should be banned from beaches, after all free roaming dogs would not be able to read the signs that told them they aren't allowed on the beach! :)

Designated beaches for dog walking would be great, but I don't think that's a reality that the Government would really look at (too much like hard work). Banning dogs from beaches should in theory prevent alot of the dog dirt from finding it's way onto the beaches, but what imo would help more is more litter wardens (who would also catch people littering in other ways on the beaches) more dustbins THAT ARE ACTUALLY EMPTIED REGULARLY and a bit more education about the possible dangers of not cleaning up after your dog.

Don't get me wrong - I don't approve of dogs being allowed to roam free ANYWHERE and mine never do, I just see it as a different issue to that of dogs being banned from beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

why??? cause they upset you and your 2 children???? surely if the dogs are roaming free on the beach with no one looking after them they could follow you up to the footpath too!

the question of dogs roaming freely imo is a different question to that of whether or not dogs should be banned from beaches, after all free roaming dogs would not be able to read the signs that told them they aren't allowed on the beach! :)

Designated beaches for dog walking would be great, but I don't think that's a reality that the Government would really look at (too much like hard work). Banning dogs from beaches should in theory prevent alot of the dog dirt from finding it's way onto the beaches, but what imo would help more is more litter wardens (who would also catch people littering in other ways on the beaches) more dustbins THAT ARE ACTUALLY EMPTIED REGULARLY and a bit more education about the possible dangers of not cleaning up after your dog.

Don't get me wrong - I don't approve of dogs being allowed to roam free ANYWHERE and mine never do, I just see it as a different issue to that of dogs being banned from beaches

Dogs don't congrefate on footpaths like they do on a beach. In fact, comparing a beach to a footpath is insane. Its been a long time since I sat down on a towel on a footpath digging a hole, playing with sand and running in and out of a nearby ocean. You ever been next to a group of dogs on a beach fighting? You ever seen the terror in kids eyes when dogs start going nuts 6 feet from them? Dog owners have abused the position of trust place in regarding looking after dogs. Thats not my problem, its the dog owners.

legend 99

I can see where you're coming from and I would sympathise to a certain degree.

But there is another important aspect to the whole discussion.

You and yours use the beach on the few good summer days we get per year.
    Dog owners use the beach all year round. Every now and then a dog just NEEDS to run. Especially those dogs that spend most of their day in a small house/garden ...they need to let off steam. Just dragging them along on a lead doesn't really do the trick. Nowhere exept for beaches are there reasonably safe places to actually let a dog off the lead and throw it a ball as fast and far as you can ...
    If you banned dogs from beaches tomorrow, you would have like ten dog-free days on the beach a year ...the dogs would have nowhere to go all year round, further increasing all the issues about bored and underexcercised dogs in back gardens annoying the neighbours.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners who behave like they owned the beach all year round ...even on the days when the beach is full of other people.

IMO therefore designated dog areas (which are properly enforced) are the only workable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

legend99 wrote:
    Dogs don't congrefate on footpaths like they do on a beach. In fact, comparing a beach to a footpath is insane. Its been a long time since I sat down on a towel on a footpath digging a hole, playing with sand and running in and out of a nearby ocean. You ever been next to a group of dogs on a beach fighting? You ever seen the terror in kids eyes when dogs start going nuts 6 feet from them? Dog owners have abused the position of trust place in regarding looking after dogs. Thats not my problem, its the dog owners.

was being ever so slightly sarcastic due to your post annoying me.... think Peasant makes a very good point!

Not all dog owners are perfect granted and I don't think any dogs should ever be allowed to roam free unsupervised ANYWHERE. I however don't allow mine to do this & don't see why I should be penalised when I want to bring my dogs to the beach, and am more than willing to clean up any mess they make.

By the way - you ever see the terror in a dog's eyes when it is teased and terrorised by a group of kids?

There should be a way that everyone can use a beach without others being banned....

I think a designated dog area is an excellent solution, however you will still have irresponsible people who open the front door and allow their pet to "take itself for a walk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 killy

Are they going to ban horses as well ?? there are so many riding schools around the country that rely on the beach for their business and banning horses could and possibly would put a lot lf them out of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If they ban dogs they should ban kids, teenagers, most adults and everything else that doesn't doesn't comply with co. council thinking. If they get away with this are forrests and walkways next on the anti-dog list? I think people really should make a stand, I know I will. Designated dog areas are no doubt a good start but they should be realistic, not just a hundred yards at the scruffy end of the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I doubt they would ban horses. Horse poo and dog poo are very different. Horse poo is just processed grass while dog poo is full of nasty things. Horse poo also goes away when it rains a hell of a lot faster than dog poo which seems to fossilise!.

There is no excuse for a dog being off the lead, ye want the dog to run ye run with it or use a bike. Dog users are not the only people who use beeches year round. If a dog is under proper supervision than how could it be terrorised by a group of kids.

dog poo is full of nasty things

Probably ...never was curious enough to investigate.

But, prey tell ...how clean or sterile do you think a beach (minus dog poo) is exactly?

May I mention the following:
    - sea birds (have digestive systems too)
    - the geneal affluent of Dublin City that floats around the bay more or less (most likely less) "purified"
    - the tons of rubbish left behind by beach revellers
    - and the question ..what exacly do all these kiddies do (you know, the ones that spend all day at he beach terrified by dogs and of their poo...) when THEY have to go. Does mommy pack them in the MPV and drive them home? ...I shouldn't think so ... :D

I do in no way support / condone dogs pooing on the beach and their owners just leaving it there ...but the beach minus dog poo is by no means a clean and healthy affair, just because there is no (more) dog poo.

Keep it in proportion there...

There is no excuse for a dog being off the lead

...when there is a gaggle of people around and the dog can't be controlled.

On a day like today (wind, rain, nobody around) there is no need for a lead at all ...once again ...a sense of proportion, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

How last year are you Peasant - everyone knows kids watch DVD's on the back seat of Mommy's SUV :p while Mommy and Daddy have a little walk

And another thing - they should ban sanitary towels as they are washed up on my beach - along with used condoms and other unmentionables like nappies.

Blame the dogs I say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    And another thing - they should ban sanitary towels as they are washed up on my beach

Absolutely, the amount of times I've accidentally picked one up is simply not funny (well, to most people anyway :p )
    Please ladies, don't flush them!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Have to say totally with Peasant here. I make a point of bringing my dogs to either park or beach early in morning - noone around except other dog walkers or late in evening. Also clean up after them. If on a weekend I'm bringing them to park/beach and there are others around, I try to go to most empty place and also if there are kiddies around just put the dogs back on the lead. Banning them from public areas is not the answer...responsible dog ownership is, along with a realistic approach from the Councils. Brings me back to a thread from a while back...lack of bins / litter wardens for dog waste and all other types of waste....fine those who dont pick up and use the fines to fund the wardens / bins....where's the big problem?!?

Advertisement