Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Des Bishop programme

Options
  • 20-08-2005 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Did anyone else see the ad for this. It looks great. Hopefully it will be as good as his work experience programme.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Havent seen the ad, but cant wait.... i know one of the comedians!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭ShreddedHumans

I can't really remember because I was drunk when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Looks good alright, you can trust Des!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Havent seen the ad yet either but now I cant wait. Hes a class comedian and i loved the work experience docunmentary.

Any mention of when its going to be on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I really don't see why he is funny. I have seen him compare and stand up loads of times and untill the work experinece doc he was ignored mostly. It could be claimed he was over looked but loads of people about him weren't. The doc was interesting but if you think about it his comedy wasn't actually any good. It's all subjective but can you really think of any bit he did that was funny outside the specific situation shown as part of the doc? He has worked hard at it but that still doesn't actually make him funny and I respect his effort and he did well with the doc. No amazing comedic style or timing were shown IMHO. No offense Des because I know you are about under a differnt name (obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ok just watched the ad! Looks interesting. He's spending time living in the most deprived areas in the country and teaching them to be stand up comedians. Looking forward to it if I can remember to watch it, always forget about stuff I want to see :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Droogie

I was at one of the "comedy project" shows that he did with the Travellers in Tuam in Galway. He was in a boxing match with one of them as part of it. He trained three travellers to do a show and I went to see it. Was good fun and he was very funny. They filmed it all for the show... He lived in Tuam for 4 weeks as part of it...

So that's what it's about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

IMHO, an absolutely terrible comedian!

I did enjoy 'The Des Bishop Experience' but any live footage of him i've seen has been absolutely dreadful and at numerous instances, just cringe-inducing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It's all subjective but can you really think of any bit he did that was funny outside the specific situation shown as part of the doc?

You're right about it being subjective. I saw him live once and out of all the other comedians there he was by far and away the funniest. Unfortunately none of the others there were in the least bit funny so he was only the best by default. My friend who'd asked me to go with her was appalled, she kept saying "I thought a comedy night was supposed to be funny" and trying to give me the money I'd spent on the ticket.

I have to say I've only ever found him marginally funny at best. I feel there is something of the emporer's new clothes about his following. People are told he's funny, so they agree.

I thought the work experience was good because it was original and never done before, and it was funny too. But his standup is terrible compared to others (Tommy Tiernan etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

iguana wrote:
    I feel there is something of the emporer's new clothes about his following. People are told he's funny, so they agree.

Not quite. :rolleyes:

Any performer regardless of his medium earns his fans from performances and not word of mouth apart from children and their britney type stars.I have seen his tv shows and some of his recordings and find him to be funny/amusing but like most adults don't need to be told what i should like.

Go figure. ;)

Yes, work experience was great ... but the stand up (even on the show) is/was poor! The only funny things he said on stage were what other people said to him! But I guess, he probably did hour long shows and 5 mins got on TV!

Really his stand up sucks... he's lucky he got the deal with RTÉ, and so are RTÉ, because Des Bishop is the man for this type of show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah well so he (or someone else?) came up with good ideas for tv shows, and there arn't that mainy comdians with their owns shows so far play to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So, whats next years project in the "Des Bishop Does Hard **** and Makes a TV Show About How He Survived It All" series, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

He has to be the worst comedian ever, if ya even call him a comedian. The work experience was woeful despite it being "original" it just wasnt funny at all. Original ****e it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I remember him doing standup in college for Rag week or some Carroll's Comedy thing, I thought he was funny, but considering he's spent most of his life in Ireland in Cork, it is probably easier to relate to Cork people!

I thought the work experience was good because it was original and never done before, and it was funny too. But his standup is terrible compared to others (Tommy Tiernan etc).

Original? I don't really think so very similar to the Mark Thomas shows which I think had "experience" in the title too. I am sure Mark Thomas didn't invent the idea either as it seems like stuff by Lenny Bruce.
    Eddy Hobbes show seems to be very much the same idea as Mark Thomas too. I am glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't See Mr. Bishop as a genius .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought the work experience show was great, got the DVD too. I agree that his stand-up isn't terribly funny, though. It's really typical American comedy, IMO, nothing too intelligent. It did have some good bits in it though, like when he's working in the Aqualand place, and people are going "euch!" when they see him cleaning up their crap, and he starts going on about how he's the one wearing the uniform, "what the f*ck can I do, except lose my job for telling you to go f*ck yourself?!"

So yeah, I liked the doc, but his stand-up isn't great. Any news on when the new show starts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think Des gets a bum deal from a lot of people. He might not be the best comedian in Ireland, but he has done a LOT for comedy with setting up the International club and you have to respect him for that.

The new series sounds really good, especially looking forward to the episode of the week he spends living with the travellers, and meeting the first traveller ever to be called to the London Bar (i.e. become a lawyer).

eth0_ wrote:
    I think Des gets a bum deal from a lot of people. He might not be the best comedian in Ireland, but he has done a LOT for comedy with setting up the International club and you have to respect him for that.
    Well due to having a well known name he is getting gigs and spots other good comdedians could have gotten. He may actually be doing Irish comedy damage now. I saw a poster the other day for some 3 day event and he is named (big letter) with Tommy Tiernan. People see him think he is useless and then don't go to comedy like the International (which I thought was going on before Des' arrival).
    He has done a lot of work but being a manager or promoter doesn't make you a comedian is all I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Yeah i think the international has been around a loooong time. the comedy bit too. So he aint its godfather.
    I just find him to be a bit of a moan to be honest. I mean i know he was always stuck with those crap jobs but jesus he was just a big ball of misery!
    that his stand up sucks may not be all his fault. i was at the liffey laughs a while ago and i had a great time... but then when they broadcasted it they only showed the crap tame bits. the guys just have no taste...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

when is this new show on...?

The fact the show is about him "teaching" people to be a comedian is probably the funniest thing about the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Personally I find him to be very funny, aside from the work experience show I have seen him live and i thought it was classic.

I would be interested to know when this is on, anyone know when exactly?

I'd say early September... havent seen anything on it on RTÉ.ie though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The only time I've ever bought this guys 'act' was when he had a cameo as a rich NewYork yuppie in InAmerica.

I guess its true that everybody has one role in them.

Advertisement