Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for RTE

Options
  • 19-08-2005 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Every night they are late with the 9 O'Clock news. Tonight wasn't too bad (according to the speaking clock it was 21:03:40), but why can't they keep the schedule?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Every night they are late with the 9 O'Clock news. Tonight wasn't too bad (according to the speaking clock it was 21:03:40), but why can't they keep the schedule?

That's a pet hate of mine. Never happens with the BBC (well, very very rarely anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

its not only that, the simpsons on rte2 alays start late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTÉ starting something on time is really nothing more than a myth

tbf, they do start some things on time, but they are few and far between. i record most things i watch on RTÉ these days and watch their programming that way. no delays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well at least in that sense it shows its irishness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Remember the old ITN News at Ten, if they were were 2 mins late, Big Ben would show the time as 10:02pm, sheer genius. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

he he, it's confirmed, I synced the atomic clock in London (The one all the clocks here in work are run off) with the start of the VJ Service on BBC 1 (A live prog from central london) the titles stated running bang on the turn of the second to 11.30 am. At least on programme started ontime today.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ah, bejaysus and begorrah, shure it'll do.

Tune into RTE1 Radio between 9am and 2.45pm any weekday and you'll count at least half-a-dozen miss-cues, i.e. ad break suddenly coming over a jingle, jingle cutting in just before announcer finishes, etc.

It's all a part of what makes RTE what it is...crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Lump wrote:
    he he, it's confirmed, I synced the atomic clock in London (The one all the clocks here in work are run off) with the start of the VJ Service on BBC 1 (A live prog from central london) the titles stated running bang on the turn of the second to 11.30 am. At least on programme started ontime today.

John

Purely for informational purposes, we are actually synchronised with the atomic clock at Rugby. There are two synchronising atomic clocks in Europe, the other is Frankfurt, and Ireland is (mostly) beyond it's radio range.

RTE2, 18:01:30, The Simpsons to start at 18:00, the closing titles of Neighbours just finishing. I guess 18:06 before The Simpsons........

Ok 18:05:30!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

andrew.fitzpatrick@rte.ie (Ok I know every time i have a chance to put his email up I do) Head of Scheduling @ RTE.

Whats worse is that they have the nerve to suggest that the reason that the Thursday night movie has to be interupted by the News On Two is because the news has to go out at 11pm. When was the last time RTE News On Two when out at 11pm any other day of the week. And it not like its 5 or 2 mins late it 10 mins off plus the 5 or 2 mins. (Oh the complicated world of Scheduling!!!! :confused: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You didn't by any chance spend the 3 mins 40 secs watching ads while you waited on your programme to start ? :D

Maybe they are not as dumb as you think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Has anyone been timing TV3 or TG4 to compare against? Just wondering if its only RTE, or is it something pandemic in Irish made television.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think TV3 are ok but they do have problems with Emmers and Coro St since they start those shows about 5 mins eariler then ITV1. As with RTE and EastEnders.

The add breaks on movies aren't as smooth as they used to be on TV3. Was watching Conspircy Theory on Sunday Night and found that the adds wheren't taken very well. (Off the topic sorry)

Defo check out all stations for this from now on. I have to say this doesn't bother me. So should I bother checking? mmmmm
    Irish made television.

No it happens to all of the show that RTÉ show including the foreign ones. :) :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

If you think they're timing is bad at prime time, check out late night. Setting a timer is pointless, they started Hell on the Pacific about 15 minutes after it was scheduled so I missed the ending on.

Advertisement