Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concrete on osb - plastic needed ?

Options
  • 19-08-2005 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm putting ufh over joists shortly - I don't even have the roof in place, just the blockwork, joists (with kingspan between) and 11mm OSB sheeted over this.

I've been told to put plastic in place over the OSB but am wondering if this is really necessary as the downstairs rooms are finished floors and still have a covering of sand over them.

I thought that the plastic was to stop concrete messing up any work done downstairs but that's not an issue yet in my case.

any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I think a lot would depend on the grade of OSB you have used and is it an imported board or a "Smart Ply" product ?

Even using "Smart Ply 3" I would prefer to protect the board from possible water damage, I expect that is the reason you want to cover it ?

Any board even WBP Plywood should not be left exposed for any longer than necessary, if you are going to pour concrete on the OSB it will be subjected to a lot of standing water in the mix even after the concrete appears to have set, so yes I would cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭qazxsw

cheers for that - hadn't thought of the standing water - will be getting plastsic

Advertisement