Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House extension on old thatched cottage

Options
  • 19-08-2005 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Good afternoon all,

I'd like to have an extension built at the back and side of the house. My concern is that I don't want to denature the visual aspect of the house, therefore I was wondering if a flat roof would be the solution, so we don't see the extension from the front of the house. What do you think ?
    Also has anyone of you ever worked with such an old building ?
    Would you know as a rule of thumb how much per square meter a ground extension can cost ?
    Thanking you in advance if you have a few minutes to spare ;-)
    Have a nice day

Melanie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

I've often seen extensions on old cottages with corrigated galvanised roofs if you were looking for a semi authentic/traditional look (painted rusty red). Could be noisy in the raing if you didn't use rockwoll. Otherwiase aflat roof would be fine if it was done well.

I've also seen some cottages with old ore reclaimed slate and traditional plaster work (rough and bumpy)

It's a matter of taste i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

There are very good flat roofing systems available now so you are not looking at the old five years and live in hope after that anymore.

Also you could build the extension and have the flat roof designed to look like an old grass roof to appear as a feature beside your thatch roof.

There are a lot of options available today, however if the building is listed you may have to install a thatch roof on the side roof if the extension is visible from the front, so it may be a good idea to check with your local authority first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 moonasola

Good Morning,

Thanks a million for your precious replies. I've checked with the heritage center and it is not listed, and as this wouldn't be visible from the front we would'nt have to have the extension thatched. We've just had many people telling us that flat roofs are not a good idea !!! And this is the only option we think would look good in that case !!
    Cheers

Mel

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

moonasola wrote:
    We've just had many people telling us that flat roofs are not a good idea !!!

Not necessarily so. There are some excellent flat roofing systems available now. Contact a roofing company.

The torch on felt did cause problems but in most cases that was because it was a dodgy DIY job.

Advertisement