Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway sleepers

Options
  • 19-08-2005 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone recommend a place i can get sleepers?? Good ones not covered in oil.

What grade would i need (for flowerbeds)??

Any idea of cost??

Im living in crumlin

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Hi tabydub ,

Give clonee sawmills between clonee and dunboyne a ring on 01-8252017
    they have new sleeper's for flowerbeds which may be of interest for you
    im sure they deliver too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tabydub

They are looking for E29.95 each is this the normal price?? anyone else i can try for a cheeper price??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Iarnrod Eireann should have plenty let around after renewing their ttrack with concrete sleepers. All you need is a good wrench, and sneak into a railway yard somewhere out west, and theres plenty for the taking.

Careful though, they're fairly heavy. Baltic Pine or Teak

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭kennier

I got sleepers about a year ago from the garden center (I think!) on the ashbourne road - just opposite roadstone about 1/2 mile outside the M50. Cost was about €22. They wiegh a tonne but the major problem was getting a chainsaw to cut them to size...The hire shops generally will not hire them due to insurance problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DrKevorkian

White's Agri past Blakes Cross in Lusk, Co. Dublin

New pine sleepers - €22.58 inc VAT
    Delivery is €35

They're not very heavy compared the old-school creosote covered railtrack ones and you can cut them a lot easier too.

I think their number is (01) 8438521

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

There's a decking place between the Red Cow roundabout and Newlands Cross, advertising them at €25 each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dargan

kennier wrote:
    I got sleepers about a year ago from the garden center (I think!) on the ashbourne road - just opposite roadstone about 1/2 mile outside the M50. Cost was about €22. They wiegh a tonne but the major problem was getting a chainsaw to cut them to size...The hire shops generally will not hire them due to insurance problems.

Believe it or not they cut very easily with a circular saw. Chainsaw is messy and much more difficult. Circ saw made for this kind of wood - chainsaw made for live wood... my two cents...

Advertisement