Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yeats is dead

Options
  • 19-08-2005 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Have to admit, I had a good laugh over my cup tea this morning as i read that the Yeats statue outside the Ulster Bank got knocked over, that bloody thing is an eyesore anyway...

(is that insensitive of me???)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Where's this statue at? (county, town)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Goodshape wrote:
    Where's this statue at? (county, town)

Em yeah, sorry, should have mentioned that...

It is (was) in Sligo (that is after all Yeat's Country ;) )

Here's a pic of the ugly bugger

Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Sligeach1975/Ireland_200549.jpg

After:

http://www.unison.ie/images_papers/news/52/12880/pictures/350107.jpg

ah, that was a bit uncalled for if you ask me. Looks like they devestated the thing.

I don't have much time for people vandalising artwork, whether it personally appealing to me or not (although that statue doesn't look to bad imo). There's always plenty of McDonalds etc. around if you're in a rowdy mood. Leave the art alone tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I heard it was a car that ran into it?

hmm, well.. there's still plenty of McD's etc. you could be running into instead. Bloody wreckless drivers, no respect for art. Or something.

I only know what's been said in this forum, so you could well be right Dagon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Goodshape wrote:
    I only know what's been said in this forum, so you could well be right Dagon.

Yeah it was a car that hit it, I had actually written that, but I must have clicked "preview" instead of submit, coz I can't see my post anywhere... :confused:

OK it's Friday I'm tired went to a conert last night and only got 1 hour sleep before going to work today, so yez'll have to excuse my thickness today.... :(

Read here:
    http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story.asp?j=24324

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just had a look at the "before and after pics" and if you ask me I think somebody done the good people of Sligo a favour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Yes, it used to be (maybe not so) affectionately referred to locally as 'The **** at the bank'.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Shamrok wrote:
    Yes, it used to be (maybe not so) affectionately referred to locally as 'The **** at the bank'.
    ROFL :D

Yeah, not the greatest looking statue in existance. Though, I've seen worse too. Damn modern art!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

have to say that was the worst bit of art ever. I know that art is a personal thing but that was never really welcomed in sligo, hence the name.

I know it cost a bit of money when it was put in and at the time it was new and exciting bit of sculpture, but that was then and this is now.

RIP poor yeats, the banker is no longer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

serves him right.
    THATS FOR LEAVING CERT POETRY YOU POMPOUS GIT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭goodgod3rd

yeats is dead... statement of fact... :>
    as for the statue well.. if its the one i know.. (couldn't be arsed cheaking) well good riddens.. i saw a blob outsidre the bank... never looked like yeats

edit... yes.. good job, its liek a mc donnalds sign.. cept fatter.... ..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I liked the statue, it'll be fixed up...always thought it was "the swank at the bank" though

apparently a car was being chased by the Gardai and Yeats stepped in the way..

most of the wooden sculptures at hazlewood have been vandalised, heads chopped off, burned. bloody knackers shoudl be given more crayons when they're young...

Oh.. september 1913. anger at irelands capatolists and the lack of culture!
    when the irish people reject the proposed gallary for the french paintings?
    "Romantic Irelands Dead And Gone, its with o' leary in the grave!"

looks like we havent changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

goodgod3rd wrote:
    Oh.. september 1913. anger at irelands capatolists and the lack of culture!
    when the irish people reject the proposed gallary for the french paintings?
    "Romantic Irelands Dead And Gone, its with o' leary in the grave!"

looks like we havent changed

Yeats was a wanker who'd probably refer to himself as "an artiste". i appreciate the arts but yeats was my least favourite poet to work with in school. his poetry was accecptable, but everything about him made me hate him. he was a pompous wanker.

i rest my case

JIZZLORD wrote:
    Yeats was a wanker who'd probably refer to himself as "an artiste". i appreciate the arts but yeats was my least favourite poet to work with in school. his poetry was accecptable, but everything about him made me hate him. he was a pompous wanker.

i rest my case
    sure i know, i find every poets work like that.. so many meanings, and all. but he made sense in that poem, and to me, thats a good quality,

i find it hard to belive he wrote the lake isle of inishfree in a english park, with all the tecnical stuff in it,

now i cant speak for the rest of his poems, becuase i only did them two so far, ...
    difference in taste ?

Advertisement